PDA

View Full Version : Turbo housing / downpipe installation

Mick
03-30-2005, 07:32 PM
OK, I got my TH pipe and its off getting coated. While thats happening I thought I'd try to get more feedback on the installation.

When I take off the turbo housing to enlarge the waste gate hole to 1" to prevent turbo creep is there anything special I need to do other than unscrewing a few bolts ? any lines, gaskets, rubber rings... or anything I need to take note of before I take it off ? Anything at all I need to worry about ?

Does the pipe just hangoff the turbo ? no other bolts besides the cat/test pipe connection ? no other hanger ?

Any details you guys want to share will help, thank again for the help.

john saleeby
04-05-2005, 01:53 AM
[I'm getting ready to install my TH downpipe also. What kind of exhaust do you have?

Mick
04-05-2005, 08:10 PM
[I'm getting ready to install my TH downpipe also. What kind of exhaust do you have?
I went with a standard downpipe and a cat...because i really dont see myself swappin out or uncapping a dump pipes. Im going with an ATR 3 inch ss system....havent ordered it yet waiting till i get the downpipe ready. I'm a little nervous about taking the turbo apart to enlarge the wastegate hole.....but when the pipe comes back from being coated thats the next step. Not to mention i need to find someone who can trim my stock turbo sheild so that the pipe will fit...

keep us posted on your install....

James West
04-14-2005, 04:09 AM
I would NOT open the wastegate hole until you have tested the car with the new TH downpipe in place. You may find that you do not need to enlarge the hole at all. If you have boost creep, I would exhaust (no pun intended) all other possibilities before opening up the wastegate hole. Once you open the hole up there is no turning back. Also, a 1" diameter hole may be too large, The TH wastegate puck is only 1-3/8" in diameter as I remember. I would NOT go over .904" IF you absolutely must enlarge the hole.

Regards,

James West

Mick
04-14-2005, 06:34 PM
James thanks for the response.

Did you have a chance to read through the thread called "ATR vs. Terry Houston" ? If not, take a look. I thought most everyone agreed that this is almost a must.

I tried to get some feed back as to how many people have done this as apposed to not doing it.

Its going to be the same on my car as anyone elses car right ? I mean all houston pipes are the same and all stock turbo's are the same as far as hole size, right? So wouldnt boost creep happen to anyone who installs a houston pipe ?