PDA

View Full Version : Inquire-electrical

LED
04-01-2005, 04:39 PM
i HAVE A 87 GN --SET FOR THREE YEARS-- HOOKED UP BATTERY,HAVE POWER TO STARTER ---NOTHING AT FUSE BLOCK AND AT ECM PANEL. WOULD THERE BE SOMETHING DISCONNECTED THAT I,M MISSING? WERE WOULD THE BEST PLACE TO START TO CHECK FOR POWER? THX,JOE

Keller
04-01-2005, 06:07 PM
One of the fusible links might have failed. Or a ground may be floating. Start looking through http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/electrical/wiring.html and try to narrow it down.

LED
04-13-2005, 07:03 PM
Found one of the wires had a break within the insulator right at the starter terminal. :)

Keller
04-13-2005, 09:48 PM
Glad you found it! Its always the little things that make the biggest problems.

charleslong
07-24-2005, 01:40 AM
One of the fusible links might have failed. Or a ground may be floating. Start looking through http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/electrical/wiring.html and try to narrow it down.
Hi Keller, I found this link while looking for fusable links. I am having the same problem, but I dont really know what to expect when looking. How much wire should I be able to see while looking at the starter? I checked it and I only seen a thick wire and one thinner wire.
Thanks
Charles

Keller
07-24-2005, 02:55 AM
Heck...I don't know. There is a heat shield under there. Space is a bit tight. Depends how grimy it is... :confused:

charleslong
07-24-2005, 10:37 AM
Heck...I don't know. There is a heat shield under there. Space is a bit tight. Depends how grimy it is... :confused:
Thanks for the reply

Harry Mash
07-25-2005, 06:50 PM
Charles, when looking at the starter solonoid you should see (feel) the main posative cable from the battery to the large stud on the solonoid along with 3 fusable links attached to the same stud. Detach the ground cable from the battery - remove the nut and posative cable from the solonoid and see if the 3 fusable links are attached ( I think two of the links are connected to one round connecter and one link has its own connecter ). If these links break it's usually at the connecter.