PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Drivers Exhaust/Idle problem

KevinO
04-03-2005, 03:01 PM
I have the crack in the drivers side exhaust manifold. I am pretty new to the GN. Will this cause the car to have problems with the idle.I was driving the car one day and it was running perfect,the next day it has problems with the idle but seems to smooth out if I give it gas. I have changed every sensor on the car, (IAC,TPS,Crank,Cam,MAF,Knock,O2) but still have the problem. I just noticed the ticking from the drivers side today and my O2 readings at idle are going from around 100 up to 800. Will the header crack cause this?

Chip
04-03-2005, 06:09 PM
oops ... unfortunately you are experiencing one of the most common issues with these cars. Back in the day, even very new, low milage cars developed cracks in the driver's side manifold. So, even though it's a pain in the butt right now, consider yourself lucky to have dodged-a-bullet this long.

Fix it ... replace it ... upgrade it !! Don't mess around, don't wait, don't try to figure out what it's effecting ... drivability and performance will continue to degrade.

A good welder can repair it, but first asses the overall condition of that piece of the exhaust system; it may not be worth repairing. It may be best to get a new piece. These are available from vendors linked to this site.

Sorry :)

Keller
04-03-2005, 08:56 PM
I would emphasize that good welders can repair them. You shouldn't have to run off and get a new part.

O2 readings are supposed to fluctuate. If they don't, your O2 sensor is contaminated.

Idle problems are most often (a) minimum air / IAC settings or (b) weak fuel pump or (c) one or more weak injectors. Try the 'IAC reset' procedure on this site first.

The ticking is likely your crank sensor needing adjustment.

KevinO
04-04-2005, 03:32 PM
I have replaced the fuel pump with a high volume one.I also replaced the injectors and the pressure regulator.