PDA

View Full Version : Alternators

87we41087
04-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Hey does anyone know if these alternators are any good? Thanks. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2453910664&category=33573&sspagename=WD1V

Keller
04-06-2005, 10:42 PM
Reading the description, it sounds like it uses some non-stock type circuitry. Is there something you have that a stock (for 86/87) 120 amp unit won't handle?

Also, given the range of years mentioned, I'd be worried that the case might not fit properly, either.

87we41087
04-07-2005, 09:13 AM
The stock is 120A? i dodnt know that. My alternator is shot and i was looking to get a new one before the summer and that looked like a pretty good buy. if you have any other sugjestions that are better than buyin that one off ebay, please let me know. thanks alot.

Keller
04-07-2005, 06:12 PM
I generally don't consider EBay to be a source for car parts. Unless its something used and/or rare that can't be found anywhere else.

Try a TR vendor, a local rebuilder, or a discount GM source. Discount rebuilds may be done in a discount fashion. Advance Auto Parts and other chains have AC-Delco remans with a lifetime warranty. They are $150+, but you get what you pay for...

ssnakesii
04-15-2005, 05:46 AM
87we41087

What do you mean by shot? If you are saying that the case is damaged or something I understand that you need a new one. What I do and you can do is look in your phone book under "automotive electrical" find auto electrical rebulider . they are everywhere and you simply take you alt off or drive your gn there and they rebuild the one you have. I have found I get a better rebuild when Im standing right there and its the same price or less then if you buy a made in china/mexico rebuild from a chain store.

good luck
steve

TurboBuckeye
05-14-2005, 09:37 AM
87we41087

What do you mean by shot? If you are saying that the case is damaged or something I understand that you need a new one. What I do and you can do is look in your phone book under "automotive electrical" find auto electrical rebulider . they are everywhere and you simply take you alt off or drive your gn there and they rebuild the one you have. I have found I get a better rebuild when Im standing right there and its the same price or less then if you buy a made in china/mexico rebuild from a chain store.

good luck
steve

Good advice right there, I got mine rebuilt for $67 and it seems to be an awesome job. Of course that was dealer price ( I work in a marine shop ) but I think the price to anybody was still under $100

pajeff87
04-12-2014, 08:23 AM
We are getting ready to pull our car out of winter storage. Over the course of the winter, on warmer days (which there weren't very many of) we started the car and brought it up to temp to allow fluids to circulate and such. I noticed that the alternator bearings are singing a bit and sound dry so probably time to replace the bearings or the complete alternator.

On the latter route , I find these two P/Ns at Autozone: DL 1455-6-4, which is a 120 amp stock appearing reman, and then DL 1457-6-4, which is also a stock appearing reman rated at 124 amps. The only difference in the specs, besides amperage, is that the 1455 weights about a pound a half more than the 1457, and also costs just a few bucks more. Any clue as to the difference?

I haven't split one of the new (80's) style alternators, just the older style from the 60's. They really do not appear all that different besides being internally vs externally regulated. How bad to just replace the bearings? Recommendations?