PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Injection swap?

87CALAIS
08-31-2004, 09:02 AM
Hey there everyone, I'm kinda new, so I'll explain.
I have/had this really clean 85 regal, 3.8 N/A, got totalled. real bad t-bone, no one hurt, but on the good side, my cutlass got a good drivers door outta it...
My cutlass has a 350 in it, and I'm hardcore toying around with the idea of putting the 3.8 in it with a fuel injection setup off of front drive ( lesabre it was that will work, no?) putting a turbo on it etc...
I suppose I'll just ask if it's a lil to crazy of an idea, or if anyone has any expierience to the problems I'd run into, and,... if there's a huge library where this is all discussed, yell at me accordingly.
Later
Tim

Keller
08-31-2004, 11:31 PM
Just about everything inside a TR motor is different than a NA motor: crank, pistons, rods...even the intake is constructed differently for the FWD setups - the bonnet isn't bolted on as it is on the 86/87 TRs - its integrated with the intake, an it faces the other way. It would face rearward on a RWD motor. And the FWD injectors are of a smaller capacity. There are some articles on this site regarding block differences from various years

That doesn't mean it can not be done! Or that you can't pursue Frankensteining something together. Remember...there were many TR variants through the years; carbed, injected, non-intercooled, intercooled...even FWD in Rivieras.

Many would tell you that you would be further ahead looking for TR parts to begin your project with. It does make things easier to start with a known platform...

87CALAIS
09-01-2004, 12:07 AM
Seems like this may become more of a fall winter spring project then just a fall one.... :rolleyes:

Turbo2nr
09-07-2004, 06:19 AM
I have a turbo Riviera T-type FWD. The motor is not sideways, It will be hard to just bolt in into another FWD platform. Looks just like a GN, except the tranny is goofy.

Turbo2nr
09-15-2004, 06:37 AM
I would strongly suggest to abort this mission! Just find a 3.8turbo from a RWD car! It will save you time, money, and frustration in the end. Call the turbo Salvage yard.

Scott H.