PDA

View Full Version : Alky question

Turbo Trans Am
08-31-2004, 01:41 PM
I am pretty ignorant when it comes to alcohol and its effect on our cars. I have a stock motor, fuel system, turbo. Can I just crank up the boost to, let's say 22 lbs, and everything will be ok as long as I spray some alcohol? Can I just dump as much boost as I want into the engine without any consequences as long as I'm not running lean? I thought higher octane causes more heat and can damage your pistons. Is this true for alcohol?? Thanks!

Oh, and how effective will this mod be with a regular 'ol thrasher street chip? Thanks again for all the help!

Keller
09-01-2004, 01:10 AM
Octane is a rating that tells a fuels ease or difficulty to burning. Higher octane, harder to burn. Alcohol is very high in RON (research octane number) and that is why its valued for an 'octane booster'. Same for propane.

Seems crazy, doesn't it? But think...that lets you run more compression or boost...and thus get more power.

So...can you just crank it up to 22? Not really. Thats a lot for the stock pieces to begin with unless everything is 100% optimized and 'right'. Alcohol may be a good substitute for race fuel. No way you could do it on just 93 octane.

More octane does not cause more heat. Probably just the opposite. More boost sure does, however! And the Thrasher chip with alcohol? Dunno...

Turbo2nr
09-17-2004, 06:28 AM
Nice, big intercooler, propper fuel pump, little bigger turbo, aftermarket chip, maby 21-22psi with pump gas. I have seen it work many times. But race gas is the best. You can't just guess, but rather use a scan tool to see results.

22psi, of course it is possible. That's what the alchohol/methanol pump is for! Spray away your detonation Blues. I have a SMC. Can't complain. I have a Snow Performance kit on my Subaru. I use these kits even with race gas. On my subaru, I run 30psi with a big Garrett GT turbo, no2 to help spoolup/ and spray 50/50 water methanol to help slow down flame front and cool combustion chamber/ exaust. Too much methanol (100%) will raise EGT.

Scott

Vacuum 6
09-20-2004, 01:41 PM
Just like Scott said Nice, big intercooler, propper fuel pump, little bigger turbo, aftermarket chip, maby 21-22psi with pump gas.
Scott

I have all the above upgrades. I am able to run 22psi with a 24° chip on 93 with no knock via alky injection. I use denaturized alky.