PDA

View Full Version : Body Mount Installation

David Covell
05-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Would like to replace body mounts on my 87 t-top. Engine and everything else in drive train has been removed. All bolts securing existing mounts have been removed. Problem now is to gain enough clearance for mid-body mounts. Lifting body gives enough clearance for rear-ward mounts, but not enough for mid-body mounts. Can's see what is keeping body attached to frame. Any suggestions? or alternative ways to gain clearance?
Thanks
DGC

RonS86GN
05-31-2005, 11:55 AM
Hi, just replaced all the body mounts in my 86. I used a lift so I dont know if you have access to one. The # 2 and 3 are tight. I used wood blocks under the rear seat floor pans and was able to get a substantial amount of lift. ( Just watch the rubber fuel lines ) The # 3 I was able to lift out of hole and then slide it sideways towards the rear of the vehicle until I had enough room to remove it. Replaced in reverse. The # 2 I left the rear jacked up and placed a 6x6 block under the radiator support. ( The # 1 mounts unbolted ). I had some slowly jack the front up until I had enough clearance to remove. The driver's # 2 is a little more difficult because of the plumbing but did come out with a little playin. Good luck, the hardest part is done with the bolts out, half of my cage broke loose, was lots of fun.
I dont know the condition of your vehicle but if you need them kirbanperformance.com sells bolt kits among other items.