PDA

View Full Version : feul pump question

TobyU
05-10-2005, 01:41 AM
I have been searching thru tons of the great info here but I need some help on a fuel pump issue.
I purchased a 87 GN with a external Bosch pump mounted up above an in front of the tank. I am not sure what number it is. It seems to supply enough fuel although it makes strange noises. Not just loud due to location, but the humming changes quite a bit from low to high etc.
I don't know how the previous owner did the work and I haven't taken the time to drop the tank and look yet.
Should the stock pump still be in there? I think the wire is cut from the stock pump and goes to the Bosch. I am planning on using that wire for the energizing wire and run a heavy gauge wire with a relay to make sure pump gets the best voltage it can. Can you take the stock pump totally out and make a pick up tube to suck up fuel....how is this external pump supposed to be done?
Thanks for any ideas on where start on the fuel project.

Turbo2nr
05-19-2005, 06:27 AM
I have heard of running both pumps at once, stock pump feeding bigger external unit. I can't say what is best, or right.

PaCemkr86
05-19-2005, 07:26 PM
see if the pump has a relay on it, If it doesnt, that might be the humming noise changing you are hearing

TobyU
05-20-2005, 01:38 AM
.>>>>>>see if the pump has a relay on it, If it doesnt, that might be the humming noise changing you are hearing>>>>>

Currently it is just powered by the wire that feeds the stock in tank pump.
The wire is cut from the stock pump at the connector at the left rear bumper area and goes to the Bosch pump, so the stock relay is energizing it.
I haven't even tried to hook power to the original in-tank pump to see if it pumps. I couldn't run both off of same wire anyway.