PDA

View Full Version : AiResearch turbo

speedy
05-10-2005, 08:12 PM
NEW GUY, i just got this 1987 gn and it is over boosting and throwing check light, code 31 on the wastegate solenoid , one hose goes to the wastegate and (the other side of the "Y") there is no place for the second hose to go to the turbo, there is not a place for it on my turbo. does anyone know how to set this up right, so i will not over boost, it goes to 21psi and half throttle and the wastegate is adjusted all the way out

please help thanks

Keller
05-10-2005, 11:11 PM
So...you hopefully have the stock hose & Y setup, because there is a restrictor in one leg of it. The "top" part of it goes to the wastegate solenoid on the passenger's valve cover. The 'outer' port is the correct one. One leg of the Y goes to the wastegate actuator diaphragm. The other one to a brass fitting with a nipple on the compressor housing of the turbo. See this fitting on this picture: http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/pictureguides/turboguide/8687stock.html

That error code may indicate your solenoid is not electrically connected. Check to see that it is plugged in. It may also indicate a problem with the wiring or ECM. See http://www.gnttype.org/maint/malf.html#31

Also see the bottom of http://www.gnttype.org/maint/quickref.html for how the Y in the stock hose setup should be oriented.

speedy
05-11-2005, 04:15 AM
i have replaced my ecm with an extra one and same thing happened i tried the light test with a homemade test light and nothing happened, i have the "y" hose but there is no nipple on the turbocharger for the hose to hook up to. have you ever seen and turbo with out a nipple? my solenoid is plug up also. see i was over boosting at half throttle last week, but the check engine light did not come on now it is.

Keller
05-11-2005, 08:24 PM
That nipple is where the wastegate gets the boost reference pressure to open. Solenoid or no solenoid. Until you find a way to connect that, you are headed down Blown Headgasket Lane everytime you put your foot to the floor.

Why don't you TAKE THE WASTEGATE ROD OFF THE WASTEGATE ARM until you figure this out. Sure, you won't move quite as quickly. But you won't blow the motor up quite as quickly, either.

speedy
05-11-2005, 09:01 PM
have you ever heard of anyone tapping the turbo and putting a fitting on? i hope someone at the gs national knows about my turbo and how to and where to tap a fitting on the turbo. its not my daily drive and if i just drive it right, no boost it will be ok. i live in bowling green, ky and there is a guy name ronnie eply that knows about grand national i am going to his shop thursday the compresser has numbers on it, A/R 70

THANKS
KEVIN

Keller
05-13-2005, 02:25 PM
Stock compressor has an A/R of 0.60. Sounds very non-stock.

Come by the Hampton next week on Tues. night or later and ask for me or leave a message. I'll be there for the GS Nationals and will have a look at it.

Scott Keller

speedy
05-16-2005, 06:20 AM
I Wiil Try To Found You, White T-type Right? I Already Tipped The Turbo With A Fitting Just At The Start Of The Turbo Compressor Side, Right Pass The Intercooler, Now Low Boost And Still A Check Engine Light Code 31. I Check And There Is No Voltage Going To The Boost Solenoid Plug, Is There And Fuse That Maybe Blown And Maybe A Bad Wire?

Thanks Kevin

Keller
05-16-2005, 11:47 PM
Come by the Hampton next week on Tues. night or later

Might be Wed night on. Some craziness making things run later for me...

speedy
05-17-2005, 04:23 AM
Blown Fuse Baby Man I Am So Happy ,the Car Flies, 16psi. I 'll Talk To You At The Nationals :) :) This Week Sometime. Great Web Site :D :banghead: