PDA

View Full Version : Street Tire

TimTruman
05-14-2005, 02:31 AM
I am a very proud owner of an 87 GN for 6 years counting. It is stock, 74,000 miles, with the exception of a TA-49 Turbo and a tranny rebuild using Art Carr performance parts installed some seasons back. Before the upgrades the BF Goodrich TA's seemed to be a good fit with the car. Neat little 'chirp' from the 1-2 shift. Shortly after the upgrades the car was put into storage.

Skip ahead three years. Finally able to get the car out of storage and out into the world again. The better flowing TA and the head snapping shifts bark the tires hard on hot pavement. On cooler days the tires will spin near silent for seconds. I replaced the 8+ year dry rotting TA's with another set hoping the fresh rubber would dig in. It didn't help much except when the pavement is really hot but, as I am sure you have all experianced, the best time to street this car is at night. They really come alive breathing cold air.

So I have 15 days left to exchange the TA's for something else. My hope in posting was that some of you have had experiance with a tire that sticks well against a slightly modified drivetrain on stock rims. Willing to trade of life expectancy for performance but I do enjoy taking the car out on road trips too. Raised white lettering a bonus. Maybe it would help to replace aged suspension parts?

I am in your experianced hands ...

kenmosher
05-14-2005, 08:11 PM
There are several "drag radials" out there with soft compound ... some are virtually slicks with grooves cut in them (Mickey Thompson Streets), others look like a real radial ... the TA Drag Radial and Nitto 555 Drag Radials.

Most everybody raves about the Nittos as far as good traction and decent wear characteristics.

Keller
05-15-2005, 12:20 AM
The Mickey Thompson new Street Radial has been getting a lot of good press. Plus they have much more tread than their ET Street bias ply tires. Might be just the ticket.

TimTruman
05-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Suggestions appreciated. Thanks guys.