PDA

View Full Version : won't start

kwcook
05-16-2005, 09:45 PM
I pulled my t type out of the garage to clean up, and when I went to pull it back in it wouldn't start. The starter is cranking and it seams to be getting gas. I thought the fuel filter may be the problem so I got a new one and still no luck. I have new plugs and wires and the car has always started witout having to pump it or anything.

Maybe I need a new Coil pack??

Any info would be a help thanks.

I posted this previously in the hot air section, sorry for the repeat

leehatten
06-07-2005, 06:39 PM
I have the same problem in my 1985 i recently change the cam sensor the crank sensor, plugs wires and the coild pack and still no luck help me it was running then it just dieded. i know it firing i know my fuel pump is good but dont know how good the injectors are what could it be

Keller
06-07-2005, 06:55 PM
A car needs three things to run:

- air
- fuel
- spark

You need to verify all three are working.

A scan tool would help verify that the MAF was working. If all else fails, unplug it and try to make it run in speed density mode. (Not sure it'll start that way, though. Hmm...anyone remember?)

You can check fuel pressure with a gauge. Don't have one? Get a rag and push in the Schrader valve at the end of the fuel rail with a small screwdriver after the ignition has been on to see if there is any fuel pressure. Not a sure check, but kinda works.

You can yank a plug wire, put it near a ground, and check for a spark. Though one failed part of the coil will kill two plugs. Same goes for the module. Check resistance across coil terminals (common coils, of course). Should be around 13k ohms.

Usual problems are ignition related. i.e. failed coil or module. If this is the case, I suggest GM only!

kenmosher
06-08-2005, 09:40 AM
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/maintenance/nostart.html

This might help in troubleshooting ...

leehatten
07-06-2005, 03:22 PM
I got the car running again but it run like garbage. It run rough it back fires and still running rich i change the o2 sensor the MAF and the coil pack as soon as i try to give it some gas it back fires or dies im thinking that i need to rest the cam sensor. I dont think it reading the MAF or the new O2 sensor because if i unplug them the engine run the same i have 3 ECM that i have interchanged but they all give me the same result what could I dont know where to go form here.

thanks guy for all your advice
LEE