PDA

View Full Version : how does 87 GN handle?

waldo786
05-17-2005, 09:52 PM
I was wondering how well the '87 Grand Nationals handle and how their braking is? This would be my primary car and I'd like to have one that's fast but also handles relatively decent. Thanks!

buddiiee
05-20-2005, 05:33 PM
how they handle and brake? pretty much just like a normal car from the 80's would. pretty mediochre but, (depending on the suspension package your car came with, i understand that there were 2? different suspension packages that came on the turbo regals i guess) theyre very easy to modify/fix on. i had a stock GN and threw on some vented rotors in front, bilstein shocks all the way around, all 4 frame brace kits from kirbans, (<--a MUST if you value your body/frame. the standard 5 person, passenger sedan that a regal is, the body was NOT designed originally to withstand the torque and horsepower that is generated by the turbocharger, and can crack in a couple places, even if you dont race that much, and can be quite a pain) a pinion snubber, and 1 & 3/8ths inch sway bars front and rear, with new 'energy suspension' bushings and brackets, and new end links for the front bar. wow. handles GREAT, and thats only half of my upgrade. the other, more expensive half of my upgrade, are going to be the eibach variable rate lowering springs (they dont make springs that dont lower your car, and i didnt want that originally but, now, that i see, my car actually sits up pretty high, and could stand to lose an inch of height, it would ride much better im sure) new control arms all the way around, new trailing arms, traction bars, and new energy suspension urethane bushings ALL the way around the entire car. i may even find a way to have a body shop install all new body bushings on the entire car as well. and i will also switch to a 45 or 50 profile series, Z rated max performance summer tire as well. (that has a LOT to do with overall handling of your car) when thats done, it should ride like a 2004 camaro all day long. but just to start out, with the basics, switch to a brand name, max performance summer tire, the lower profile the better, but dont go too low, turbo regals are rare, classic cars, theyre not hispanic '64 impalas, dont abuse em. next go to shox.com, and order your set of bilstein shocks for i think 238 out the door with shipping, and install em yourself. thats the cheapest way to improve handling as i can think of right now. i hope ive helped a bit. if youve anymore questions, feel free to ask. ive tinkered with my suspension for pretty much 2 months straight now. so ive found out some stuff.

WOOSHH
06-02-2005, 12:39 PM
I recently installed a set of Hotchkis springs and Bilstein shocks and it really tightened up the whole car especially on the highway.I have the stock brake system and she stops good for cruising around.When I get on it I definitely need more. A Baer brake kit will be ordered soon-the one that work's with the stock rims.

Keller
06-02-2005, 01:11 PM
it should ride like a 2004 camaro all day long

Only problem is that they quit making Camaro's in '02...

The TR's aren't braking and handling cars. They can always used improvement.

Adding all the missing body busings helps. See http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/bodygauges/mounts.html and http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/bodygauges/bushings.html Can always go to polyurethane. Just lube 'em first! Otherwise they'll squeak!

Suspension: Can box rear control arms, go with better shocks (Bilstein, Edelbrock, or even QA1 adjustables or coil-overs), go with larger bars, and add reinforcement braces. See http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/suspension/suspensionpage.html

Brakes: Good luck. Always a sore spot with these cars. http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/brakes/brakespage.html has some suggestions for both keeping the stock system(s) working, and upgrades.

buddiiee
06-11-2005, 05:03 PM
right, there are no 04 camaros, what i meant was, a newer f body, as they ride really nice and tight. at any rate, if you replace all the bushings, control arms shocks etc etc, an older G body should ride super nice. maybe even tighter than some of todays cars, depending on what they are.