PDA

View Full Version : block questions

susan2265
05-19-2005, 11:11 AM
I have an 86 GN and have had to pull the motor the block is already bored .040 and the machinist said it will have to go .060. I also have a motor from a 79 turbo car that we were trying to find out if we could use that block because it is still standard. It doesn't have as many freeze plugs and doesn't have a place for the oil sending unit. any help would by greatly appreciated. :confused: :confused:

kenmosher
05-19-2005, 12:24 PM
It's probably a good idea to look for another "109" block ... they were found in RWD applications from 1986-1988. Fairly common and shouldn't be horribly expensive. These were all 20 bolt oil pan blocks. If you have to use an older block, you'll have to switch to 14 bolt oil pan ...

Then check the deck height and make sure it's at the same height as the existing stock block.

susan2265
06-09-2005, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the information after doing some checking we found out the other block was actually from a 1977 turbo car. so the machinist said that he could sleeve the cyclinder that was worn and just hone the rest it will be .040 over but will work. Of course the cause of this whole rebuild was the crank that the person before us had turned and undercut it. so it was pouring oil.about a case a week. Finding acrank has proven difficult but we are on the right track now....i hope :o

ajt86
06-11-2005, 02:56 PM
why dont you just sleeve all of the cylinders- many people dont beleive in sleeving they say its not a good way of doing things, if you have a sleeve done right it is just like having a normal bore in a block

susan2265
07-06-2005, 06:35 PM
finally got my block back from machine shop,you can not even tell where the the cylinder was sleeved.now for the really tough part getting all the oil out of the motor bay and underneath of course if I left it nothing would ever rust.
thanks everyone for your help and ideas :D