PDA

View Full Version : ECM for V6s, physical appearance...

King_V
05-19-2005, 10:57 PM
Got a question for the gurus . . the ECM that controls the turbo motor, while I know it's programmed differently, does it look the same as the ECMs from the FI FWD V6s, with the same type of connectors, or does it look more like the carb'ed versions.

Just wondering about this if I ever convert a carbureted 231 to N/A FI, in terms of dealing with wiring harnesses, etc.

kenmosher
05-20-2005, 12:06 PM
Physically, it's tough to see differences in the ECMs between several GM platforms in the same year range.

Even though they look the same ... the innards are NOT necessarily the same.

You need to use the "148" ECM which is also used with a few FWD 3.8 (not 3800) applications. There's a good resource here:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/ecmsensors/8487ecm.html

novaderrik
05-21-2005, 03:21 AM
you are going to need a wiring harness to go along with the SFI turbo V6, so different plugs really won't matter all that much. you need it all, since i can't imagine any way to get a harness for a 231 with an electronic 2 barrel carb and HEI distributor to work with 6 sequentially fired injectors and an ignition system that doesn't use a distributor.

King_V
05-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Ahh . . . gotcha.

Yeah, I figured I'd need everything, but I've always got that lingering sort of paranoia that one little thing is going to throw all my assumptions out the window.

So . . if I follow that article and the various things I've learned here correctly... the 86-87 GN/Turbo Regal engine is, as far as electronics and engine management are concerned, the exact same thing as the 86-87 VIN code 3 engine (3.8L SFI), except for the turbo? (well, and the different block).

And, further, all these gizmos will actually quite easily hook up to any 3.8 or 4.1 from a RWD car? Sweet. If I ever actually get to what I intend, this might be easier than I'd thought it would be!

Now I regret not keeping that 86 Delta 88 with the dead tranny. Still have the ECM and the MAF from it though.

Keller
05-23-2005, 01:11 AM
In principle they are the 'same'. In reality, they are very different. Different innards, too. (pistons, rods, crank) Plus the intake and exhaust manifolds and plumbing differ. In esssence, completely different. Though the ECM, coil pack, and a few other scattered items are identical.

King_V
05-25-2005, 08:18 PM
Ah, yes, what I meant was, electronically the same (sensors, ECM, etc).

I figured the turbo engine's probably going to need tougher "hard" parts such as pistons, etc. and better flowing heads/intake.