PDA

View Full Version : my shifts/top end....;(

buddiiee
05-20-2005, 05:14 PM
i dont know if this is the right forum but im going to give it a go anyways. i was reading the new kirban catalog, and on page 67, theres an ad for a
'tps tec'. it describes what some people do to 'enhance' shifts, saying that
"most turbo owners find that by pulling the tv cable out one or two notches on the adjustment, the shift points are much firmer and the engine shifts at a slightly higher rpm. but when you do that, the maximum throttle is limited, and usually doesnt even hit the top end stop." well my car definately suffers from this. im lost though. my mechanic (a very reputable mechanic here in the detroit area for TR's) adjusted my tv cable, so that my shifts arent that wheel spinning firm, cuz i hate attracting attention, but then my shifts were super lazy and sluggish. but how, i have a stage 3 shift kit in my car, and if thats supposed to be the stock setting, then why did that change turn my shifts into crap? secondly, my wide open throttle sux really bad. from about 5 to 50 mph, it accelerates like an F-15 fighter jet, but after that, the acceleration goes down super bad, to that of a 4 cylinder with about 150,000 miles on it. crisper shifts or not, my acceleration past 50 is really bad. but, this kirban catalog suggests that 'people ususally tighten up the cable, to improve their shifts, and to make the trans shift at a slightly higher rpm. suggesting that, in the stock position, the shifts suck. do they?
all i know is, either setting on the cable, stock or tight, i have exactly what the book says, higher rpm shifting (which i DO NOT want) firm shifts, and really crappy wide open throttle response. but when i put my cable back to stock, nothing changes, except my shifts get lazy now. so im stuck with the tigher setting, cuz at LEAST my shifts are firm now. could this be my tps sensor suckin? or my mass air flow sensor slackin off? please advise, cuz im lost bad.

Keller
05-24-2005, 04:30 PM
First, a TPS-TEC is a bad-aid for an unmodified and misadjusted TPS. Just mod yours and set it right. See the articles on the site for how.

Secondly, the TV adjustment sets the throttle valve pressure. If your shift kit was installed correctly, and your trans is not failing in some fashion already, adjusting this should adjust shift firmness. It will not adjust shift points very much. If your shift points are set by the governor. If a spring has popped of, they might be affected greatly.

Also, if your car is now much faster than stock, you may need to add an extra 1/2 quart of fluid and/or seal the lip of the filter to the plastic body with hi-temp RTV before assembly. Both of these can prevent pump cavitation during hard acceleration.

buddiiee
05-24-2005, 07:12 PM
pump cavitation for what... you never said what to seal with that rtv. if youre talking about the gas tank, my car does it full or not. my car is slightly modified, and is only slightly faster than bone stock. could this be my tps and/or maf?

Keller
05-25-2005, 07:36 AM
Uh...Did you read the part that said "seal the lip of the filter to the plastic body with hi-temp RTV before assembly"? Have you seen a TH200-4R transmission filter? If so, you would likely know what that means. The bottom is metal and the upper part is plastic. The are simply crimped together and do not have a perfect seal. Under acceleration (which these cars tend to do), the front part of the filter may be out in air - not fluid. Not good. Slight overfilling combined with complete sealing of the filter is a good way to combat this.

Also, insure that you retreive the old O-ring from the old filter when changing them out. Leaving it in the transmission is a common mistake.

kenmosher
05-25-2005, 12:09 PM
As far as the cavitation ... under hard acceleration, the front of the filter is exposed to air or aerated fluid, causing a loss of pressure and erratic shifts. This is due to the fluid shifting to the rear of the pan and the crappy stock filter design with the crimped upper/lower halves.

Sealing the seam with some RTV helps this problem ... sometimes pretty dramatically on a car that hooks hard.

Shift kits, depending on what they are doing, can really be affected by TV cable position, since it is one of the main "calibrations" that changes as the throttle is depressed. Normally one or two clicks is plenty, but if the shift kit has modified the internal pressures enough, it may be too much.

Tonka
06-06-2005, 06:52 PM
What RTV/silicone is everybody using to seal the filter? Does it stand up to tranny fluid well?

Keller
06-06-2005, 08:45 PM
I use the Permatex high-temp (Ultra-Copper) stuff.