PDA

View Full Version : Minimum idle setting?

WOOSHH
05-22-2005, 09:01 PM
What should 87 GN's idle at? I recently installed a Scanmaster and been lowering it and readjusting my TPS also-not sure how low I can go.I was occasionally getting a clunk when going through gears,like to do away w/clunk if I can.

Keller
05-23-2005, 01:34 AM
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/faq/IACresetscan.html
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/maintenance/TPS.html

Note that the idle speed is set in the chip. So the actual speed will be chip dependent. Usually around 800-850.

The 200-4R has a natural clunk when going into gear. Proably better to address any specific details of that problem in the transmission section.

WOOSHH
05-23-2005, 02:14 AM
Thanks,I have Red's 93 chip and am seeing my idle in drive jump around from 625-700.It's mostly at 650 on my scanmaster.

WOOSHH
05-26-2005, 02:06 PM
Using my scanmaster-How low can I go to set my idle in drive? The way I have it now I get the clunk occasionally going through the gears.Can I go below 600 in drive?

Keller
05-26-2005, 03:39 PM
I guess you can always set things wrong. Probably hundreds or thosands of TRs on the road that are. Idle is supposed to be at target idle set in the chip, period. Don't like it, have your chip reprogrammed.

The 200-4R clunks going into gear. If it clunks going *through* the gears, that may be a problem. If you can't handle the clunk going into gear, the TransGo shift kit included some sort of trick/device for minimizing it.

I wouldn't suggest putting your idle below 600-650 or so.

WOOSHH
05-30-2005, 11:48 PM
Thanks,I have a Red Armstrong 93 chip and Turbo Link software.Do you know what the idle setting would be for Red's chip?

Keller
05-31-2005, 12:28 AM
I know DirectScan tells programmed and actual idle. I don't think TurboLink does.

Why not give Red a call and ask what it is set to?

kenmosher
05-31-2005, 09:38 AM
Usually Red sets the idle to about 775 RPM at idle in Park.

WOOSHH
06-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the info.

JSAautomotive
06-10-2005, 09:14 PM
I'm a GM tech and the factory sets the Min Idle at around 500-550. If you want the official way to do it, here it is.

Turn the ignition key on and jumper A to B in the ALDL connector. Wait some 30 seconds so the IAC motor pounds the carbon on its seat. Disconnect the IAC. Remove the jumper in the ALDL.

Start the car up and get it into close loop. You'll probably need to keep the throttle open with the pedal until it'll idle. If it doesn't idle, your throttle is too far closed. Open it up a turn or so.

We use the Tech II, Tech 1a, or Snap on as a scanner. regarless of how you scan the computer, you do not want the 10k mode of the scanner working. Or with other scanners, you want the car in "test drive" mode when scanning. Once you get it into closed loop, check your TPS setting. TPS should read around .5 volts. Depending on your programming, differernt programmers may use the TPS input setting to modify your "target" idle or fueling at idle. Set your idle speed to around 500-600 RPM.

Shut the car off and re-connect your idle speed control motor (IAC) and start and stop the engine a couple of times so the computer can relearn it's IAC zero position.

As Kellar and ken stated, ultimatly, your "target" idle speed will be determined by what was programmed in your chip. But like I said, depending on how the chip was programmed, your TPS setting may or may not play a role in your "targeted" idle speed. Make sure your power steering switch isn't on the blink, because this will also effect your "target" idle speed

also... if your trans if clunking on acceleration. Maybe your idle speed is way way too high?? Is it?? Or maybe check your u-joints. Otherwise, it may be in the trans itself.

JSAautomotive
06-10-2005, 09:29 PM
Oh!! And before I forget. Your TPS IAC "counts" should be at least 10 or as much as 38 in neutral with the A/C off. The IAC "counts" up or down stands for the amount of IAC opening (idle speed up or down). So you dont want it at zero (unless you want the IAC totally closed for some reason) or out in the 70's+

kenmosher
06-12-2005, 11:32 AM
Actually, what he's posted is the same as in the links provided early in the thread (the GM Minimum Idle Air setting).

All that does is set the minimum throttle opening for the IAC so that the air bled around the throttle is within the base calibration for the IAC.

Regardless of where the idle is set in the chip, this is a good procedure ... the setting it with a scan tool is just a short cut.

Turbo2nr
06-12-2005, 12:58 PM
Ken, you are right. I erased my posts, hadn't had coffee yet. :bored:

kenmosher
06-12-2005, 02:59 PM
Gotta get some high octane Java myself! :D