PDA

View Full Version : How do I do a complete Fluid flush?

baller760
05-27-2005, 03:12 AM
I want to change my transmission fluid but I don't want to just do the basic 4 quarts by dropping the pan and replacing the filter. I mean, I will if a full flush is too hard but what is all involved in getting all of it out of there? I would like to start with a clean slate next time. The fluid is foaming and it needs to be replaced!!!

Keller
05-27-2005, 08:38 AM
Its more like 5 quarts, actually...

The way full exchanges are done by shops are by taking off a cooler line at the radiator and using one end as an "in" and one end as and "out". Its probably easier on the TRs than the average car because the lines have natural breaks with fittings under the hood to assist in radiator removal. Might be easiest to take this to a trans shop or dealer for this type of service, as they have a machine that does it.

However, this will not change your filter, will not see any grit in your pan, and will not find out why you have foaming fluid. That sounds like a real problem.

Fat_TrackGN7
06-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Have you added fluid to it? If so you could of added to much. to much fluid means the internals are submerged in fluid and when they rotate they airate the fluid which causes foaming. Foaming is extremly bad in a tranmission because almost everything runs off of hydraulic pressure, and if you have air in there instead of moving the fluid, it will just compress the air. This will cause all sorts of shifting problems (I don't know if you've been having shifting problems or not). What color is the fluid? depending on what the color is you might have a whole other set of problems (i.e. really light pink, almost clear, is a sign of a leak between the cooler core and the radiator). As for a tranny flush, I highly suggest taking it to a shop because the only proper way to flush a tranny is by machine. We use BG machines and they work really nice. Costs will vary depending on whether or not you have to supply the fluid, Which on a stock GN tranny is 11.8 qts. Let me know if you have any more questions on transmissions.