PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pump Removal

rpoletis
05-28-2005, 09:37 AM
All,

Have a quick question about removing my 87 GN stock oil pump. I am replacing my timing chain and I am at the stage where I need to remove the oil pump. I removed all of the bolts around the oil pump cover (4 of them) and the pump will not come off. I have tried to push and pull but is not budgeing. I do not want to break anything....Is there something I am missing???

Rich Poletis
87GN T-Top

kenmosher
05-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Have you taken the cooler ring off?

There's one bolt up under the cooler towards the middle.

rpoletis
05-29-2005, 08:13 AM
That was it!

I am sure glad I asked and did nothing stupid.

For what it is worth I have have 107,000 miles on my GN and the cam sprocket is flawless. I expected to have missing/worn down teeth, but nothing. I figured it had been replaced by a previous owner, but the date stamp on the part is from 1987. I guess it is all original. Either way I feel better knowing I now have a metal sprocket vice a nylon one.

Thanks again!

Rich Poletis
87GN T-Tops

Keller
05-29-2005, 11:01 AM
Which timing set did you go with, Rich?

rpoletis
05-31-2005, 03:21 PM
Scott,

I went with the POSTONS stock replacement. The gear set is made by Cloyes and everything bolted up nicely. Upon further investigation, I noticed a hairline crack forming on the nylon gear assembly. I am glad I listened to everyone and changed the timing chain around 100,000 miles.

Rich Poletis