PDA

View Full Version : Headliner Source - Astroroof Car

87Limited
06-13-2005, 02:58 PM
Can anyone suggest a source for a replacement headliner for an astroroof car (factory CF5 option)? I've seen them for solid roof cars, but not astroroof versions. Thanks!

Keller
06-13-2005, 05:01 PM
Replacing the headliner on a astroroof, T-Top, or solid roof car shouldn't vary a great deal. Just the shape of the headliner board varies.

The material and glue is available from Jax Seat Cover (http://www.jaxseatcover.com) as well as other sources.

I had taken a wealth of pictures during my headliner installation, and will write up a page detailing the process shortly for the site. (solid roof car)

87Limited
06-13-2005, 06:35 PM
I plan to replace the headliner when I repair the weatherstripping on the astroroof as it'll be coming out anyway. I saw the JAX ad on the page and that's where I saw the stuff for solid roof cars... - there are differences in the board between the solid car and one with a roof (the lump where the switch it, nevermind the hole itself). I

'd like to get new backing board as well as the material and they (Jax) don't list astro roof cars as an option There's an article on the Tech pages for a weatherstrip replacement on a CF5 car that seems quite good only none of the photos are listed anymore..Do you have access to those photos? Many thanks!

Keller
06-16-2005, 09:34 AM
Ahhh...http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/bodygauges/astro.html

That might have gotten lost on the last server crash. Let's see if its on a backup.

87Limited
06-16-2005, 12:40 PM
Thanks Scott - Let me know if the page gets updated, I appreciate it!

Tom

GullsGN
06-24-2005, 10:36 AM
Give Jeff a call at OldBuickParts.com. He makes a plastic shell instead of the original strofoam. You can get it covered or not. He is a GN owner and I know he does the solid and T-Tops. Maybe he does Astro roof also, or has plans to. Worth a check anyway.
Steve

"Old cars never die...they just go so fast that you can't see them any more."

87Limited
06-24-2005, 11:42 AM
I'll do that right now - the last part of the headliner just fell down in the last few days so I want to get this taken care of soon. Thanks!

Hedge
07-17-2005, 02:27 AM
Did you have any luck with this? I just purchased an 87 GN yesterday and the headliner is falling down all over the place so I want to get it replaced ASAP.

87Limited
07-18-2005, 08:58 AM
I spoke with the guys at Old Buick Parts and they couldn't help with my situation since I have an astroroof. I pulled mine out over the weekend and dropped everything off at a local shop that happened to have material that was practically a 100% match with the tan interior that I have (hooray!) They do sell them for cars like yours both the shell and covered. Good bunch of guys up there....Good luck!

Hedge
07-24-2005, 04:35 PM
There is an upholtery shop here locally that said they could do it for $350 (this includes the visors). Guess this is the route the Astro Roof people must go :(

87Limited
07-25-2005, 10:10 AM
I just paid $375 for the one in mine (liner, both visors and sliding sunshade) here in CT....sounds in line with what I paid.

Hedge
07-25-2005, 12:39 PM
I just got a reply today from Jax and they said they do offer the headliner kits for $75 plus shipping for the astro roof cars.

87Limited
07-25-2005, 02:54 PM
Is that for just the fabric? If so, not a bad deal. Redoing the visors yourself is a PITA (especially if it has the vanity mirror) and I was happy to have someone else do that and repair my headliner where it was cracked in three places...ugh.

Hedge
07-26-2005, 04:29 PM
Their kit comes with Material, Glue and Instructions. They said they also sell the plastic backing boards but not for the astro roof cars. He said you could cut them to fit though. Hardtop ABS board is $126.00 + Aprox $50.00 shipping

You said you would be replacing the weatherstripping on the astro roof?

Where did you find the weatherstripping and how much was it? I would like to do the same to my car.

87Limited
07-28-2005, 10:47 AM
I got the weatherstrip for the glass through my local dealer for $75 or so if I remember correctly. As I had the headliner out, I chose to simply drop the entire astroroof assembly instead of taking out the glass through the roof (6 nuts and a wire or two versus lots of tricky sounding, finicky disassembly). It's a little heavy and awkward, but I did it by myself.

There is a second weatherstrip around the astroroof tray (also still available through GM) but as mine is in good shape, I'm leaving that alone for now. Be sure you know if you have the factory (CF5) roof or the ASC one. The weatherstrips are different.

Hedge
07-28-2005, 02:57 PM
What is the difference between the CF5 and the ASC one? How do I find out whcih one I have? I looked at the RPO codes under the trunk lid but don't see either of these listed.

87Limited
07-28-2005, 06:19 PM
Assuming the trunk lid is the original one to the car (the VINs match), if the CF5 option code is not listed, then you do not have the factory astroroof. Your was installed after the car left the factory. Most often, it was one made by ASC. On the Technical Pages on this site there is a description of the differences between the two. Nothing is interchangeable...

Hedge
07-28-2005, 11:55 PM
Does this ASC company have a website? What does the ASC stand for?

Keller
07-29-2005, 03:32 AM
Well...

I believe it was American Sunroof Corporation. But apparently they changed their name in '04 to American Specialty Cars (http://www.ascglobal.com/)

Note that ASC was the company that did the GNX conversions.

87Limited
08-05-2005, 08:21 PM
Hedge - One more thought on "creating" a new headliner from a solid roof panel...I doubt it will fit as the astroroof cars have a different shape at the windshield to cover the switch/motor assembly and it also sits lower throughout the roof to allow room for the panel to move back when open. I don't know if the ASC roof had a similar issue or if they addressed it some other way - might be worth evaluating before getting the old one out...

Hedge
08-08-2005, 01:39 PM
Well I pulled down my already falling down headliner this weekend and whoever put in the sunroof did a hack job on the backing board. They basically cut a large hole out for it and did not replace it with any new backing board. I'm convinced after looking at this that I am going to have an upholstery shop do the work instead of trying to do it myself.

Midnight Rider
08-23-2005, 09:15 PM
just had my moon roof headliner done and also did the weatherstripping. I went to 3 local specialized shops for interiors and price varied from 3-500 bucks. you should do the same as it must have been a common color.
i went with the lower priced estimate and he did a great job. he wasnt happy about doing the weatherstipping as he said it was a bitch and a half.

87Limited
08-23-2005, 09:37 PM
I did my weatherstrip by pulling the entire unit out - much easier than trying to get the glass out without pulling out the headliner. But, it was still a pain!