PDA

View Full Version : Sputtering and hesitating

bluevwfan
06-15-2005, 06:42 PM
Hi, my 87 GN has been sputtering like crazy and stalling. When at idle it goes up and down in the rpm to the point the engine almost stalls. When accelerating it begins pretty well but hesitates some times. At cruising speed it begins to sputter and sometimes even backfires, when I backoff the gas you can still feel the engine hesitating. :madder: I have changed plugs and the fuel used and still does it. My engine is bone stock except for the K&N filter in the stock housing and removed the cat. Any help is deeply appreciated :thumbsup:

Keller
06-15-2005, 08:06 PM
Any scan tool data?

bluevwfan
06-16-2005, 11:01 AM
No, I don't have a scan tool. But I can go to a friend that has a snap-on scanner will that work.

kenmosher
06-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Try unplugging the MAF sensor ... it will throw a code and light the SES light, but see if it acts better. Don't drive it extensively like this, it's just to diagnose.

My guess is that the MAF is starting to crap out....

trubyk44
06-18-2005, 06:14 PM
:confused: i would like to ask a few questions i have 87 t-type that is doing the same thing it is all stock i have changed plugs and wires and going to change the o2 sensor but i would like to now if there is anything else that i would be over looking to get it on the right track again

Keller
06-19-2005, 02:25 PM
See everything that Ken and I have said above.

I'll ask again, but I think I already know the answer...Any scan tool data?