PDA

View Full Version : never ending drama

nitemare87
06-18-2005, 04:03 PM
:banghead: great...i decided to go ahead and do the "virgin" oil change (even though i am a little over 800 miles and i should have done it at 500...). while doing the oil i thought...heck i'll go ahead and do everything right now. so i change the plugs and do the rear...ha. the middle plug, drivers side was missing the electrode???? it broke right off. all the plugs on the pass. side looked normal, but the middle and back plugs were nasty (covered in oil) and the electrode. i checked thoroughly but nothing. i even ran a magnet into the plug hole and nothing....i hope that this doesn't case any major problems. anyone?
i think that i am going to go stand in the lightning with my 3 iron. maybe i can get my head clear.:zap:

turbodave38
06-18-2005, 05:49 PM
:banghead: great...i decided to go ahead and do the "virgin" oil change (even though i am a little over 800 miles and i should have done it at 500...). while doing the oil i thought...heck i'll go ahead and do everything right now. so i change the plugs and do the rear...ha. the middle plug, drivers side was missing the electrode???? it broke right off. all the plugs on the pass. side looked normal, but the middle and back plugs were nasty (covered in oil) and the electrode. i checked thoroughly but nothing. i even ran a magnet into the plug hole and nothing....i hope that this doesn't case any major problems. anyone?
i think that i am going to go stand in the lightning with my 3 iron. maybe i can get my head clear.:zap:
The nasty plugs coudl be caused by bad/crumby plug wires not firing well enough, or improper gap.

nitemare87
06-19-2005, 12:26 PM
god, it'd better not be the wires....msd 8.5's...brand new, but that would figure.
as far as the gaps..i have them all set to .033.

Keller
06-19-2005, 02:03 PM
Was it the side or center electrode? Probably got blown out the exhaust already...

An 0.33 gap is a wee bit tight. 0.35 is more reasonable.

Is this a fresh motor? I'd be a bit worried about the oil.

trubyk44
06-19-2005, 06:47 PM
this for everyone who has help me to get my t-type running it was the o2 sensor and it runs like a dream it sure will take out a few mustangs down here now thanxs guys for a you help

nitemare87
06-20-2005, 07:04 AM
side electrode....
yeah, fresh motor. oil was fine. changed it out, looked like chocolate, felt good. it had the "normal" new engine shavings. i just don't know why i got blow by on those 2..?

Keller
06-20-2005, 11:12 AM
"Chocolate"? Kind of like a milkshake? If so, you might have a headgasket leaking...

turbodave38
06-20-2005, 11:24 AM
Your not using Champions are you?? I quit using them when the same thing happened to me. The piece of electrode and ceramic took my turbo out when it went through the turbine housing though. :mad:
The only turbo failure I've ever suffered. That was the one time I thought I'd try champions (haven't been impressed with them for over 20 years). What a mistake I made.

nitemare87
06-20-2005, 07:53 PM
autolights....i might even switch over to iridiums, but i haven't made up my mind.
as far as the oil....perfectly normal. no contamination other than shavings. exactly what one would expect from a first change.

nitemare87
06-20-2005, 07:55 PM
keller or ken...what do you guys think about .40-.42 for the gap. the reason i ask, i got the new plugs and that was the preset on everyone. just curious.
rob

Keller
06-20-2005, 09:49 PM
Nope...Sorry. IMHO, AC is the only way to fly. But others are OK.

No 'gimmick' plugs. And NO PLATINUMS! :nono: Your motor will just eat them alive.

An 0.35 gap is fine. Any given plug fits many applications, so whatever gap it comes with is irrelevant.

thunderace31
07-11-2005, 11:36 PM
Make them .35 no more you will blow out the spark any more than that :( :madder:

kenmosher
07-12-2005, 07:23 PM
Agreed ... 0.035" ...

mikes87gn
07-18-2005, 08:15 PM
I also "lost" the end of an AC R44TS (rear plug, passenger side) - the side "wire" - can't remember what its called was still on - bent of course, but the porcelain (sp?) and electrode "tip" was gone. This caused my GN to "pop" into the intake at WOT (17lbs boost). funny part is the car ran reasonable well - idled ok also...Note - the 44s had gaps larger than .035"...

I discovered this today - the "pop" was new today and I put AC R43TSs gapped at .035.