PDA

View Full Version : better but still strange

FarmerWE4
06-24-2005, 11:45 PM
Good evening. Back in May I posted driveability problems with my '87. Rough idle, hesitation, 6-8 degrees retard at 15 psi. After finishing fieldwork and dedicating a few evenings to it I made some progress. Went back and cleaned all grounds again and took apart cam sensor and cleaned. It was very corroded. Also replaced ignition module and reset the iac and tps. This time everything worked as it should. Forgot how much faster this thing was than my 3/4 ton pickup! Still some strange things going on though. I still detect a slight hesitation when taking off. Also, the blm's tend to fluctuate between 112 and 126 durring driving. Integrator #'s fluctuate between 100 and 115. I also see 105 often whether cruising or at idle. Durring moderate acceleration the car seems to surge back and forth a bit. It's barely there but I do notice it a bit. At 30 mph it seems that the car lug along rather than downshift until I step into it quite a ways. The car also seems somewhat undecisive about downshifting durring deceleration. The trans is recently rebuilt to stock specs and I did adjust the detent to regain crisper shifts from where the shop set it. Adjusted tps accordingly afterwords and had some trouble finding the sweet spot. Best I could do was .48 and 4.6. Lower idle settings would yield less than 4.5 at wot. I wonder about torque converter lockup as far as the lugging along goes. Like I said before, the car would rather struggle along and jerk a little than dounshift until I really step into it. I realize that this discription is rather lengthy and that there may be more than one thing going on here. Any input would be greatly appriciated.

Mods are as follows:
Acufab adj. regulator set at 42 lbs. line off
walbro pump w/hot wire kit
42 lb. injectors w/lubrant chip
ported plenum
3" downpipe
tranny rebuild
fresh valve springs
hooker exhaust

walbro pump w/hot wire kit

kenmosher
06-25-2005, 09:48 AM
The hesitation may be a simple IAC reset ... sounds like it might need to be verified again.

A call to Joe may be in order if that doesn't solve it ... it may be a simple cal change.

FarmerWE4
06-25-2005, 04:04 PM
Thank you very much for your speedy reply. I'll try the reset procedure again and see. I also wonder if I'd be better off putting the tv cable back closer to where it was. Might this help with the erratic shifting and downshifting? I will also check into the chip issue. Again, thanks so much for the advice.