PDA

View Full Version : weird trans failure (2004R)

tommy231
06-29-2005, 11:16 PM
I've posted this on another forum but received no good guesses back. I have a transmission failure with odd symptoms.

About 20 miles after a fun-filled trip to the dragway last year, the trans developed a problem when shifting into 4th gear. When the shift into 4th is attempted, instead of shifting it appears to go into 2 gears at once (overlap of 3rd and 4th?) and while "dragging" it starts dumping lots of fluid out the transmission vent. The leak stops when I pull the shift lever back into 3rd ('D').

This happens on jackstands too, which is how I figured out it was leaking from the vent. I've dropped the valve body, inspected all the valves and the center support bolts, checked the governor, and found no obvious problems anywhere. It seems as if a seal in the OD unit has failed in such a way that fluid blows-by the seal and into the area near the vent when 4th is attempted, hence the leak from the vent.

I can drive around in 'D' all day with no issues. Any guesses what I'll find when I tear it apart? Better yet, any ideas that might avoid the need to remove the trans to fix it?