PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Conversion

regal8r
07-23-2005, 05:22 PM
Hi, I'm new to the site. I just wanted to know how hard it would be to convert my 84 carb'd 3.8L engine to fuel injection with a turbo and intercooler. Basically, I want to make my Regal a TType/GN clone.

Keller
07-23-2005, 07:09 PM
The only way to do it would be to get a driveline from a turbo car and install it. The number of differences between a TR and a NA Regal are so vast, a conversion simply isn't possible. Just in the block alone, the...

- pistons
- rings
- crank
- cam
- intake
- exhaust manifolds
- injector rails
- sensors
- injectors

...are all different. Then we have to start talking about the turbo, plumbing, electronics, oiling, cooling...there is a lot. Then there is the transmission, rear end...heard enough?

Not to mention, the '84 and '87 blocks aren't the same.

Start saving your pennys to buy a real one is my recomendation.

regal8r
07-23-2005, 08:12 PM
Ok, thanks alot for the help. Usually, how much would a complete GN/TType motor cost?

Keller
07-23-2005, 09:32 PM
That is an "it depends" question. One in the Trader area right now. See http://www.gnttype.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2228 That is always a good area to look or to post an ad for one.

I'd still recomend an entire car. There is a LOT that goes along with the motor...

regal8r
07-24-2005, 02:43 PM
Alright, thanks alot Keller. Wish me luck trying to find a beat up GN/TT. lol

buddiiee
08-22-2005, 11:04 PM
Yea, I was going to convert an old regal to turbo as well. No way man, the time and money it would cost, wouldnt have been worth it. I could have bought a real turbo regal with all that money. Theres alot of beat down turbo regals out there for cheap. I'm in detroit, and I see em all day long. Though, parts are getting harder to find, I'd suggest buying a decent one, as I was also in the market for a beat up one as well, for a daily driver. Way too much hassle. Good condition ones are already high maintenance. (or im just really fussy,one of the two) Save your money and keep looking. Until then, just get a decent G body and drive that I guess...