PDA

View Full Version : Confured: New battery/alt going dead

JHensberry
07-27-2005, 10:32 PM
Please help if you can. Just installed a new battery/alt after the car has been sitting and the batt. volt was low to begin with, 11.1. Alt read the same. I took a fuel pressure gauge with a relief valve and tried to drain the fuel tank from the fuel rail. After about 5 gallons of old nasty fuel, the car died. I have not tried anything else so far. Could an injector get stuck open doing that???? All wires look OK. Brand new Optima Red Top battery. Volts light does come on when enough voltage is there. Is the generator part of the alt? which is part of the charging system. Thank you in advance.

Joseph Hensberry
Oak Ridge, TN

Harry Mash
07-28-2005, 09:52 PM
First things first-charge the battery fully(12.6 volts) Next - get the bad gas out of the tank- With good gas and a fully charged battery try and start the car. Worry about injectors later.You need a battery charger and volt meter to proceed.

Keller
07-29-2005, 02:59 AM
Don't let an Optima get super-low. Like...perhaps 6-7 volts or less. Many battery chargers won't work with them at that voltage and it may damage the battery. Ask me how I know... :o