PDA

View Full Version : Current Draw...

gearhead_9_9
07-30-2005, 08:01 PM
Does anyone know how much current the ECM draws when the ignition is off and the key is removed? My car is drawing 200 mA. Is that normal?

My battery keeps going dead and it is brand new, so is the alternator. The whole electrical system looks good. Do I have a short somewhere?

Thanks.

GH

PaCemkr86
07-31-2005, 11:30 AM
did you make sure the sunvisor lamps arent staying on?

gearhead_9_9
07-31-2005, 07:38 PM
Yes, I went back and checked. The lighted vanity mirror is not on with the cover closed.

I disconnected the battery negative terminal and put an ammeter in line. Still drawing 200 mA. Is that what your car draws with the ignition off and the key out.

Maybe this is normal current draw and I got a bad battery? I'm taking it back tomorrow.

gearhead_9_9
08-11-2005, 08:15 PM
Now my brand new battery went dead overnight! 200 mA isn't enough to drain a new battery. Where is the most likely place my GN could have an intermitant short?

:confused:

GH

gearhead_9_9
08-13-2005, 11:51 PM
Just to let everyone know, I found the problem. The trunk light draws about 190 mA. I was on all the time! The switch is bad. Anyone got one for sale?

Also, current draw from the battery with the ignition off is about 10 mA. Maybe this information should be added to the "Ignition Off Draw Test" section of the Electrical Component Information in the Technical Articles!

I guess 200 mA is enough to drain a battery overnight. :D

You were close PaCemkr86, with the sun visor suggestion. Thanks. :cheers:

GH

ROW87GN
08-19-2005, 07:51 PM
Just to let everyone know, I found the problem. The trunk light draws about 190 mA. I was on all the time! The switch is bad. Anyone got one for sale?

Also, current draw from the battery with the ignition off is about 10 mA. Maybe this information should be added to the "Ignition Off Draw Test" section of the Electrical Component Information in the Technical Articles!

GH HI TURBO FELLOWS IAM NEW AND NEED HELP!!! I JUST BOUGHT AN 87GN AND IT DRAWS A NEW BATTERY DEAD IN A DAY!!! WHERE WOULD BE A GOOD PLACE TO START

PaCemkr86
08-19-2005, 07:55 PM

GH

that great.. im glad you found it

PaCemkr86
08-19-2005, 07:56 PM
HI TURBO FELLOWS IAM NEW AND NEED HELP!!! I JUST BOUGHT AN 87GN AND IT DRAWS A NEW BATTERY DEAD IN A DAY!!! WHERE WOULD BE A GOOD PLACE TO START
if you know how to do a voltage drop test, i can help you better if i know how much its drawing

ROW87GN
08-20-2005, 01:22 AM
MY SCANMASTER IS SHOWING 13.5 -13.9 VOLTS!!! CANT FIGURE WHATS GOING ON WITH THE GN!!! I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY FIX OR REPAIR DAILY CAR- CHANGED- ALT., VOLT. REG., BATTERY THE ENTIRE CHARGING SYSTEM. I HOPE THE GN DOESNT GIVE ME THE SAME HEADACHES :banghead: THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!!