PDA

View Full Version : Powermaster Service in NoVA

97ntrdr
07-31-2005, 01:11 PM
I am currently located in Northern Virginia and have had my '87 GN for almost a year now. When I bought the car I noticed that the brake pump had a bit of a squeal to it (very low volume). Over the course of time that squeal has progressed to a buzz. Some important points about my system operation:
- The pump runs everytime the pedal is pressed
- I have only recently had the warning light come on when the pedal is pressed. However, it is sporadic; usually after a long period of pump operation. I just drove the car (pressing the brake several times along the way) without having the light come on.

- The pump runs continuously when the car is on a steep grade.
- The pedal is mushier than more modern cars that I have driven, but it does not travel to the floor. The operation generally varies.
- When performing the brake diagnostic test (10 pumps, ignition on, time for light) my light turns off in between 3 and 6 seconds. The pump however runs for around 10-15 seconds.

I had the car into service at a general service shop (bad idea) that we had taken our other cars to without problem. They, however, had no experience with the Powermaster-- as far as I could tell-- and they overfilled my brake reservoir. Not only this, but one of them took my car for a joyride and I got to replace the mainseal as part of the package.
I have also had the car into Brown's Buick of Fairfax, Virginia for service; although, not for brakes. I'm looking for anyone who has had similar problems with the Powermaster or can recommend a good mechanic in the Fairfax, Prince William, Fauquier, Loudoun County areas who has experience working with Powermaster braking systems. I can travel into Maryland (Montgomery, Prince George's Counties) if necessary. I just want to know what's up with my brakes.

orion
08-09-2005, 07:07 PM
i am having the same troubles with my brakes. the noise started over the winter, then when it warmed up, it went away. I've heard this is a common occurance with the powermasters, my chiltons doesn't cover them.

buddiiee
08-22-2005, 11:20 PM
Yea, I know what you mean..do NOT ever take your turbo regal, to a shop, that doesnt specialize in them. regardless of what others say, they are very unique cars (im really fussy, and am very protective of my car) and if that person doesnt work on them regularly, then he doesnt know what hes doing period. I would shop around, at the local buick dealerships, and personally talk to all the older mechanics i could find, that may know about the turbo regals. interview them, to see if theyre squared away or not. if not, email kirbans, and ask for that inner circle email he sends out. i get it, and he was asking for turbo regal mechanics in different areas, he could add to his list. Im sure hes got a pretty decent list of regal mechanics by now. Check with him.. orrrr try and hunt down the real deal shop manual for your car, im sure that has the powermaster in it. it better for a 150 dollar manual....

buddiiee
08-22-2005, 11:26 PM
hey, i sent you a message on some other options,, check that.