PDA

View Full Version : Removing turbo from my 84 GN

CellaGN
08-16-2005, 02:11 PM
Can someone please send me a diagram to remove the turbo off my 84 GN....
I'm having a hard time taking it off. it appears i have everything removed. before i took anything off the turbo the wheel inside spun nice. Now its stuck takes alot to move.. I dont want to break anything please help. thanks

paul cella

pfredricks
08-16-2005, 04:12 PM
Hi CellaGN,

Hmmmm, there are only 4 bolts that secure the turbo to the manifold. There are two studs that attach to a bracket running on the passenger side of the intake manifold, nuts hold the turbo to the bracket.

At the back of the manifold are two bolts that hold the turbo to the manfold in the rear center. And that's it aside from the few vacuum/boost lines and the up and down exhaust pipes.

I've used a pry bar to gently lift the turbo compressor outlet out of the intake manifold. There's an adapter pipe, about 3 inches long, one side goes inside the turbo (from my awful memory) and the other side fits into the manifold. Both ends of the adapter have thick rubber o-rings that make it a very snug fit.

I've found it easier to remove the throttle body in order to get to those two bolts at the back of the manifold.

I've never had a case where the turbine wheel was involved in my effort to remove the turbo. It wasn't until I took the turbo apart that the wheel came into play.

Hope that helps. :o