PDA

View Full Version : My 85 T Type Lost All Its Spark???

85T/TYPE/HYPE
08-28-2005, 03:16 PM
My Car Was Running Fine Yesterday. Today It Wont Start. Checked For Spark And Not Getting None?? Any Ideas?? Is It The Coil Pack?? I Am New To These. I Had A 79 Olds And When It Lost Spark It Was The Control ModulE. I Do Not See One On This Car??******** OKAY********* FOUND OUT WHERE THE MODULE IS AT!! CHECKED IT TO SEE IF IT WAS GETTING POWER (RED/WHITE WIRE?? GOING INTO THE MODULE) IT WAS GETTING POWER. IS THIS MY PROB THEN???

buickgn38sfi
08-30-2005, 10:31 AM
No, I would replace the crank senor and or check connection & wiring first.

85T/TYPE/HYPE
08-30-2005, 03:32 PM
I Was Told That The Crank Sensor Is Working If It Is Sending Power To The Module?? I Am Thinking Of Pulling It All Apart And Putting In Fresh Everything. Car Has 42,500 On It, And It Sat For Two Years In A Barn. I Only Paid $1,700 For It But I Am Told It Is Worth A Lot More. It Ran Fine For Me I Turned It Off And Now It Wont Start??

kenmosher
08-30-2005, 05:00 PM
Crank sensor pulses when you crank it and provides a square wave ...

I second the crank sensor diagnosis ... fairly common.

We have "No Start" trouble shooting trees here:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/maintenance/nostart.html

85T/TYPE/HYPE
08-30-2005, 06:57 PM
Any Knowledge Of Some Good Repair Guys In The Cleveland Area That Know How To Do This Besides The Dealership Or Should I Just Stick To Gm Certified??

stevkos79
08-30-2005, 09:33 PM
did ya get it running?

where i cleveland are ya ? ohio right?

85T/TYPE/HYPE
08-31-2005, 05:04 AM
No I Did Not Get It Running. Actually I Live About 30 Miles West Of Cleveland, Ohio In Lorain. I Know There Are Alot Of Gn's And T-types Running Around Here. And Thought Maybe Someone May Know Someone In The Area Or See This From The Area.

stevkos79
08-31-2005, 06:50 AM
well im 30 miles east of cleveland in painesville

try the flow charts on gnttype for no start

ill see how the weekend is turning out ,

85T/TYPE/HYPE
08-31-2005, 07:59 PM
I Am Making A Delivery To Painsville Township Schools Tomorrow, Right Off Of Route 44 And I-90. I Will More Than Most Likely Save The Money Up And Have The Cars Wiring Re-done. The Guy I Got It From Has Wires All Over The Place And Most Of Them I Am Clueless On. I Understand The Crank, Cam Sensors But I Dont Know How To Repair Them Or The Process (teardown) Plus My Toolbox Is Very Limited. I Can Rebuild A Carb But All This Fuel Injection And Other Electronic Stuff Is Real Confusing. I Just Sold A Set Of T Tops To A Guy With A Gn In Chardon.

stevkos79
08-31-2005, 08:41 PM
yup im right over there on 44

well they most valueable tools
for todays cars are
1. scan tool
2. service manual
3.multmeter

well id like to help a fellow turbo6-er out
but sunday its looking like i have to watch my 2year old son while
my wife is at work,

but let me know your thoughts on how fast you need this done
or time is not of the essence?

do you have an area to work on this car?

ok ,thanks steve

85T/TYPE/HYPE
08-31-2005, 09:16 PM
Just My Driveway. I Live Right On The Lake (great Fishing, Nice Sunsets) This Is Just A Toy Car No Rush For Anything. I Just Went To The Boneyard And Picked Up 2 Nice Rockerpanels And A Door (mine Are Shot. I Picked It Up Because I Always Wanted One And I Do Bodywork On The Side Of My Normal Job (truck Driver) And Thought Because It Ran Good, All I Would Have To Do Is The Body. Now This Happens. I Have A Two Year Old Son Too! A Firecracker Redhead Like His Mom! Lots Of Fun They Are! Best Regards, Gregg

stevkos79
08-31-2005, 09:31 PM
how did you find doors around here ,hahahah

caledl everyone when i got my gn in january
no one had any cutlass or regal doors

get this i picked 2 up in nc for 50.00 total but lug them 1/2 a mile by myself up the damm junk yard

i just painted my gn too , 90 % done the hood can wait
heres some pics

http://www.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=26426302/t_=16095649

you may have to register a screen name ,

ok let me get the week done here , ill bring some tools home friday

im a tech at the buick dealer master certified
so wont hack around

just email me direct if you want

skostur79@comcast.net

85T/TYPE/HYPE
09-05-2005, 10:09 AM
Gp Sorensen Brand Crankshaft Sensor--1 Year Replacement Warranty---$54.95 W/bracket-------is This A Good Deal?????? Or Should I Stick To The Acdelco For $130. With Out Bracket???

kenmosher
09-05-2005, 10:34 AM
Last one I bought (I think from NAPA) was a repackaged Delphi and ran about $25 with bracket!

I think they are a bit proud of the part there!

85T/TYPE/HYPE
09-05-2005, 10:50 AM
Just Checked Them (website Napaonline.com) Them (napa) $94 Bucks For The 85 (echlin Brand) With Out The Bracket???

kenmosher
09-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Wierd ... Advance Auto Parts lists it as $22 (Sorenson CSS8) sensor + bracket for the '87

Then I look up and '85 and the part number is different CSS11and $54 instead!
It looks like the earlier sensor is the same basic bracket and sensor, but has an additional wiring pigtail added to it.

My bad! I assumed that the sensors were all the same ...

85T/TYPE/HYPE
09-06-2005, 02:35 PM
all we can do is keep learning and I just started on mine!! got lots and lots to learn!! But these cars are worth it!!!!

85T/TYPE/HYPE
09-08-2005, 09:10 PM
MY CAR IS UP AND RUNNING!!! IF IT WASNT FOR THIS SITE IT WOULD STILL BE SITTING, AND I WOULD STILL BE SCRATCHING MY HEAD!!! THANKS TO MEMBER STEVKOS79!! HE DROVE ALL THE WAY OVER HERE JUST TO HELP ME OUT!! NOT TO MANY GUYS LIKE HIM LEFT IN THIS WORLD! THANKS!!!!!!!!!! :hail: