PDA

View Full Version : dual stage headers

derek
08-30-2005, 08:14 PM
I'm thinking down the road of installing a set of dual stage headers but I am also working towards reducing turbo lag. Are these a good choice for what I like to call "aggressive street driving" or are the stockers a better choice.Does a larger more free flowing exhaust induce turbo lag since turbos kinda work by exhaust backpressure?

Keller
08-30-2005, 10:34 PM
Stockers work awfully well. Usually don't need to upgrade until you have a 10 second combo. What's your setup?

kenmosher
08-31-2005, 01:28 PM
As far as free flowing exhaust increasing lag .. nope.... just the opposite. Anything you can do downstream of the turbo (i.e. after the turbine on the exhaust side) will ENHANCE spool up and reduce lag.

Turbos work by extracting energy from the exhaust stream (via heat and flow). The more pressure differential across the turbo, the more flow and energy.

derek
08-31-2005, 06:51 PM
:cheers: My current set-up is stock headers to a TA49 to THDP to a hi-flow 3" not gutted cat to a mandrel bent "Y" with 2 1/2 outlets and 2 "turbo"mufflers with currently no tail pipes.Ken mentioned aft of the turbo ,free flowing exhaust reduces lag. Headers with larger primaries would reduce pressure differential thereby reducing flow and energy. Correct me if I'm Wrong.