PDA

View Full Version : New to T Types have ???

Shane
09-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Hi guys Iv been reading on T type's for awile. I just entered in to a contract to but a 84 hot air T Type. But I have some Q's if you guys dont mind helping?
1. Can you Intercool theses motors?
2. If #1 is yes do they make a kit and where can I find it?
3. Im not in to the 1/4 mile Im a 1/8 mile racer and I looking for a low 7sec 1/8 can this be done with a hot air with little ease?
4. how hard is it to convert to he 86/87 Intake, TB, Intercooler, piping, and anything eles that has to do with the fuel system? and is it werth it?
5.Is there a Difrense in the internals on the 84/85/86/87 or are they all the same?
6.What all parts are interchangeable betwen the 84/85 and the 86/87?

Thanks for an and all help.
and im so happy about being a member of this alsome car site:D:D:D

kenmosher
09-02-2005, 04:12 PM
1. Yes ... couple kits out there ... I think Spearco makes one.
2. See #1
3. Anything can be done with time and money! :loll: However, that's pretty aggressive with a pure hot air car. You can usually get into the 13s (low 8s in the 1/8) fairly easy, but it gets more difficult after that. See:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/recipes/recipepage.html

for several ways to approach it.
4. Fuel systems are fairly close to the same, but you need an upper/lower intake/plenum, fuel rail, regulator, vacuum lines, throttle body, piping, headers, turbo, downpipe, etc., etc. The long blocks from 84/85 are very close to the same thing as the 86-87s, and all the top end stuff will bolt up. It's not a trivial thing to do ... and could get pretty expensive.

5. Yes, 84-85s used steel head gaskets, 14 bolt oil pans and front cover(except for late 85s), and different blocks (not the 109). They are very close in all aspects with the 86-87 with the major difference being the switch to the 20 bolt oil pan (and associated front cover).

6. Most everything is interchangeable.

Shane
09-02-2005, 06:00 PM
Also this car im buying im told the Fuel pump is out. What upgrade should I do when changing the pump and what pump do you guys use?

kenmosher
09-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Read the link above ... really good info in it. :tup:

Walbro pumps available from most of the vendors (Full Throttle, Cotton's, Racetronix, etc.) are good well into the 11s. :drive:

Shane
09-02-2005, 06:25 PM
And I just seen that I can put a 86/87 ECU in my car. Why would I want to do that?

Shane
09-02-2005, 06:32 PM
Ok last dump Q's:
1. Can a 84/85 make that cool turbo sound like iv heard at the drag strip?:D:D
2. I want to here this right from the horses mouth, Is the 84/85 Hot Air werth a build or would it just be better to stick a 86/87 motor in my car?

And thanks for al the help:)

Keller
09-02-2005, 07:00 PM
- The 86/87 ECM is more widely available, as it fits other cars. Plus, it shows more data on a scan tool. And more scan tools work with it.
- All TRs sound like TRs, after suitable exhaust modifications are made.
- The 86/87 cars are easier to make faster. But the 84/85 cars are cheaper to buy, and their owners have developed a lot more creative solutions. As the years pass, the gap gets narrower. But they simply are more of a challenge under the hood.

Shane
09-02-2005, 07:51 PM
Is the 86/87 ECU a plug and play? or is there wiring? Also what has to be rewired if any?

Shane
09-02-2005, 07:52 PM
Sorry ECM:D

kenmosher
09-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Do some reading of the technical articles on the site ... really good stuff! :yummy:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/ecmsensors/ecmpage.html

specifically:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/ecmsensors/ecmpage.html
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/ignition/module.html

Shane
09-03-2005, 02:27 AM
Im reading and I found some talk about a V2 Intake for the Hot Airs so I started searching and I cant find any sites with a V2 anything. Can some one please tell me what this is or better yet give me a site and ill learn myself?

kenmosher
09-03-2005, 09:21 AM
There was a different casting "hogged out" manifold that I think Schmucker was working wtih "back in the day".

It kind of disappeared ... might want to ask in a separate posting and see if it joggles someone's memory. I've seen references to "JFS Manufacturing" and at one time Pro-Motion was doing something.

However, neither seems to be still in business from what I can see (or they moved their websites or something).

Shane
09-03-2005, 01:49 PM
Hey Ken thanks for all the help you have anserd everyone of my noob Q's:D
And I just wanted to thank you for that:)