PDA

View Full Version : needing advice

85t/87gnowner
09-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Hey to all the Buick nuts out there! I'm new to the turbo regal world and would like some advice on how to build this car. I've loved the gn since i first laid eyes on one. I finally got my hands on one last year. A 87 gn. The only bad thing about the car is that some lowlife pr@#k stole it. It was recovered with only the vin tags removed. It was then assigned a state issued tag. I'm not sure, but this probably killed the cars value. I also own a 1 owner 85 t-type w/85k. Got lucky and found this one at a steal of a price! Anyway, the only thing i know that the car has is a garrett a/r 60 turbo. The exhaust side says precision on it, i don't have a clue what this means! It also has an airbag in the rear. I am looking to spend around 5k including a engine rebuild. What would be the best bang for my very precious bucks? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Keller
09-08-2005, 06:19 PM
i don't have a clue what this means!
You also don't really have an absolute clue what you have, it appears.

What turbo is on the car? What injectors? Is the right trans installed? What fuel pump? Etc, etc, etc...

While you are ready to tear the motor apart, you probably should leave it alone and find out what else is there and may be wrong (or...perfectly fine!) with the car at this time. Why break it if it is OK?

You also haven't said what you want to do with the car, so there is no way to determine what to suggest. No idea of a starting point, no idea of an ending point...pretty hard to plan a route. :confused:

kenmosher
09-08-2005, 07:53 PM
A couple things ...

The turbo sounds like it has a Precision Turbo housing on the turbine side, so it's probably not stock. Take a look here and see if any of these look familar:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/pictureguides/turboguide/turboguide.html

As far as the VIN goes, yep ... definitely hurts the car's value. Sad to say, but being a theft recovery usually kills a vehicle's value.

For performance ideas, take a look here:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/recipes/recipepage.html

JHensberry
09-09-2005, 10:24 PM
First get some scan tool data and tune it in to the specs on the site. The previous owner new alittle about these cars with the larger turbo and the air bag to help the launches. Everything may be OK. First, give the car a good spring cleaning, you can get everything for less than $100, thats including a good set of wires. Spring cleaning comes before the recipes. Also, IMO, it would be a good idea to do a compression test, just to get a good idea where the engine stands. Give these cars air/fuel/turbo and build on it from there. Thanks, Joseph