PDA

View Full Version : GN up and DIED on me...

DRGRCR3
09-16-2005, 12:59 AM
I just purchased a T-Type and all was great until the parking lot of McDonalds. All I did was shut it down, go inside to grab some grub, then came back out to go home.....I started her up, she ran for 2 seconds and died. Now I can crank all I want and she won't fire. Up until that moment the car ran flawlessly, no hesitations, no missfiring, started right up whether hot or cold. I can hear the fuel pump kick on and there is roughly 22 psi on the guage so it is getting fuel to the injectors. Anyhow, there is a Scanmaster installed but the gentlemen who owned the vehicle before could not find the tech sheet for it. I know nothing about the Scanmaster.

Can anyone help?
Jeff

kenmosher
09-16-2005, 09:40 AM
First thing to check is the crank sensor ... it might have broken or failed (sometimes they work loose and hit the interrupter ring and break).

If that's the case, $25 and some wrenching will get you back on the road.

Another easy check is the orange wire by the battery for good connection.... does the Service Engine soon light come on when you turn the key on and don't start it? If so, the orange wire is OK ... if not, no power to the ECM.

Check the CCCI fuse in the fuse box (also the Inj fuse, I believe). Could be blown.

Finally if all that checks out, then we'll need to dig deeper (cam sensor, fuel pump, etc) ... let us know what you find out.

DRGRCR3
09-16-2005, 05:04 PM
Okay, I went home for lunch and inspected the CCCI fuse and the Inj. fuse, both appear to be fine. I also checked the connection at the crank sensor and all wires are in good condition and nothing was loose. I unplugged it and plugged it back in still the car just cranks. There is roughly 30psi of fuel pressure when I turn the key on so I don't think it is a fuel pump issue. The service engine light does come on like it is supposed to when I turn on the key, also the orange wire running to the battery appears to be in good working order with no loose connections.

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

kenmosher
09-16-2005, 05:26 PM
Are you getting spark when you crank?

Also, if you can get a "noid" light, are the injectors firing?

Here's some handy "No Start" Diagnostics from the service manual:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/maintenance/nostart.html

DRGRCR3
09-17-2005, 11:47 AM
Okay, she is running, I have no idea why, it just decided to start. But, the number 5 has no spark. So, I replaced the coil pack to no avail. Something I did notice when changing the coil pak, the gooey cream colored insulated stuff was all over the electrodes. Some of it was cooked on the the electrodes including the number 5. On my other GN, this is not the case, the insulation is quite uniform.

Any more advice? Should I replace the bottom half of the coil pak if this is even possible? Of course, I have not looked for any codes on my Scan Master yet.

Thanks for the help...again,
Jeff

kenmosher
09-17-2005, 02:24 PM
Interesting ... might be worth it to swap the coilpack/ignition module (the whole assembly) from your other car to this and see if that clears it up. If so, I think I'd go ahead and do both boil pack and ignition module.

DRGRCR3
09-21-2005, 02:57 PM
Coil module from the other car did the trick, she runs great again. A new one has been ordered.

Thanks for the help, :tup:
Jeff

kenmosher
09-21-2005, 03:00 PM
Cool!

:drive: