PDA

View Full Version : Backfiring

onefastcar
09-18-2005, 10:11 AM
My car backfires, turbo had cracked and bent fins and seal was leaking was told that when an engine misses it is possible that damage to the turbo is possible yes/no due to the pressure of the backfire also checked my compression it ranges from 135 to 150 no appearance of valve damage or low torque on rockers, i am assuming the only thing that is left is either the ign. module or cam sensor, or could it be the timing chain has jumped, i hear it has a plastic gear is there anyway to troubleshoot any of these? :flame:

Keller
09-19-2005, 04:59 PM
A backfire can hurt the turbo.

I would not point to the ignition module for a backfire. It pretty much works or doesn't. Perhaps a misadjusted cam or crank sensor. See http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/ecmsensors/ecmpage.html

Short of pulling the front cover, it may be hard to diagnose a jumped timing chain. Compression should be a good indication, but not a complete one.

You also may have a rounded cam lobe.

onefastcar
09-19-2005, 07:51 PM
i appreciate the info i'll check the cam sensor and maybe even buy a cam sensor tool thanks again. Gooooing fast with class! :)

faster
09-19-2005, 08:22 PM
I am assuming you have changed the plugs and have good wires. I will get an exaust backfire if I leave the plugs in too long. Does it backfire when you first stab it or when it comes up on boost or when you let off? Once I had to buy a cheap aftermarket O2 sensor when I took the car on a trip to Atlanta and mine went screwy. The Bosch cheapy read way rich 1.2 volts on the scanmaster and backfired on the on ramp of I-75 because it was pouring so much fuel in and then went lean because of the high voltage read. I had to pull over and put my old one back in to get home.

Mikey