PDA

View Full Version : Engine detailing secrets??

imjoesnuffy
09-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Normally when I get a Hot Rod, I buy a can of engine degreaser and wash everything down with the engine running with the waterhose afterward. Seeing all the sensors, relays and solenoids all over the engine compartment, that technique would be just asking for several shorts and ruined sensors. Anyone have any tips here?

Obviously I could take everything off and clean one piece at a time, also the most thorough method. But I was thinking more along the lines of covering whatever needed to be covered and use my earlier mentioned method, any thoughts? What needs to be covered? What doesn't?

Car had a valve cover leak I fixed, steering fluid leak fixed and a rear main seal leak. Little messy under the hood. I am not looking for car show quality here just get it clean enough to work on, without getting too dirty. Thanks in advance.

kenmosher
09-21-2005, 04:54 PM
Mainly stay away from getting the MAF, coil pack/module, and fender mounted relays wet. Some folks use a plastic bag and rubber bands to cover things up ...

zeus87gn
09-22-2005, 12:23 PM
Ken hit the nail on the head...if you don't think (or you know) it shouldn't get wet, don't let it.

Personally, I remove the K&N breathers on the valve covers, stuff a rag in them to keep water out, soak the entire compartment with some purplestuff (after wetting the fenders), not allowing it to set to long (like a couple of minutes) and hose off well. VERY WELL. Purple stuff is harsh but better to me than the typical engine degreaser. I have tried simple green as well and gotten almost the same result. Haven't had a problem yet with getting water in where it should not belong, but I do keep a close eye on it.

Then I drive a few miles it to dry it off. Once it cools and dries completely, I soak it again but with WD40. Sounds stupid to some, but it keeps the hoses and rubber components from drying out and looks real nice for a while. It eventually wears off. But by then maybe time to do it again.

kenmosher
09-22-2005, 03:15 PM
:yesnod:

WD-40 is great stuff ... it's good to drive out water in electrical connections, it's a safe solvent to use on painted surfaces (like removing bug guts and rubber from the rear quarters... then reapply wax), and is a decent protectant.

I like the Simple green, just because it seems to work pretty well and seems to clean up completely with water. I use an old spray bottle to spray things down.

As far as my engine compartment ... it is "sans engine" right now, so it's really easy to clean!
:loll: