PDA

View Full Version : Shocks?

GNetic86
09-15-2004, 01:22 AM
Hi - I have an 86 GN thats pretty much bone stock/all original. When I say original, I suspect it may even have the original shocks on it yet, which after 77,000 miles are pretty much dead weight at this point. I've been using this car as a daily driver for the past few days since my normal dd is getting trans work done. Is there any better suggested shocks for these cars?

I don't plan to race it but want the best street performance I can get, however my current focus is getting the engine running right and replacing some window seals before winter. Should I go with better shocks or go with over-the-counter ones like Gabriels until I'm ready to attack the suspension?

Thanks for any help,

Jeff /gnetic86
86 GN

rinacker
09-16-2004, 08:11 AM
Jeff,

I really like the Edelbrock IAS shocks. They're pricey, but the handling, ride and braking stability are excellent. Plus, for a mostly stock suspension vehicle, they work very well at the track as well. For "serious" race cars with modified suspensions I'm sure drag shocks offer some advantages, but drag shocks are a Really Bad Idea for driving on the street.

Anyway, check them out at: Edelbrock's Web Site (http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/ias_shocks_intro.html)

The normal Performer IAS shocks are red, which wouldn't suit my taste for a GN, but the Classic IAS has the same technology and a more subdued gunmetal gray powder coating.

GNetic86
09-16-2004, 01:12 PM
Thanks Rinacker, I'll check em out. Still open to other suggestions too if anyone has any.

Thanks!

Jeff

Keller
09-16-2004, 10:53 PM
I do race my car a bit, but also plan on keeping it forever. So I bought a shock that looks great, is rebuildable, adjustable, and should last forever. But...it costs like it. I put HAL/QA1 adjustables at all 4 corners. Close to $150 apiece. :eek: I have just under 70k on my car, and at least one of the original shocks was totally dead when it was removed. No resistance to movement whatsoever! Changing to these made the ride MUCH better. Still playing with the settings trying to optimize my 60' times, but I don't race often and get the data pretty slowly.

In short, these can be adjusted to ride great and give great track performance. Plus they can even give you show points if you have the judges looking underneath.

Not sure these would be the answer for everyone, but just one more view...

GNXDad
09-17-2004, 04:37 PM
Bilsteins. :)

mybuick
09-20-2004, 11:18 PM
bilstiens all around here not a hard ride and no body lean on turns. rides like grampas buick.

GNetic86
09-23-2004, 08:46 PM
Niice! Any particular model I should look at? (I'm not famliar with them)

Jeff

charged
09-25-2004, 11:15 PM
I VOTE FOR THE BILSTIENS :cheers:

tta299
10-12-2004, 07:17 PM
BILSTEIN FRONT B36-0949
REAR B46-O929 You can get them from AUTOZONE. :cheers:

FlyinGN
11-08-2004, 12:56 PM
KYB's. VERY decent shock at a GREAT price..

matthew
11-21-2004, 05:33 PM
KYB's. VERY decent shock at a GREAT price..

Nope. KYBs are junk. Anyone I have ever recommended Bilsteins to who had KYBs previously agreed 100%. All I changed on my car was the shocks and a friend who rode in it asked what all I changed to make it ride so nice. Just the Bilsteins. KYBs are stiffer in compression and don't control the car any better. Worse ride, worse handling; KYBs are just terrible. BTDT. Running Bil's on 2 g-bodies. Including one you faxed me RPOs for about 9 years ago. :p

-Matthew

WH1Regal
11-21-2004, 11:35 PM
I've been very happy with KYB GAS-A-JUST shocks. I read about them in the GN/TType archives and I put them on my Regal, liked them so much I also now have them on my 91 S-10 and my father's 00 S-10. They come in at alittle over $100 for four at http://www.p-s-t.com.

Turbo2nr
11-23-2004, 08:13 AM
If money is tight, or you have other serious issues with car, save money and go with stock shocks. They are fine. A Buick is not a real good car to go flying around turns anyway. Brakes are poor, handling is so-so. etc. These cars are made for point-and shoot, straight line go! The smooth ride is a nice feature in my opinion. I like my car better with no front sway bar at all! can't feel bumps as much....coffee drinking is OK. And easier to get up front end at the track. I do have a BIG rear sway bar. 1.51 60' with wheel up action. Stock motor/suspension (except big rear bar).....Smooth ride! :)