PDA

View Full Version : slow boost,convertor noise and other fun!

white T 86
09-26-2005, 04:17 PM
ok, I'll try to keep this as short as poss.
I really could use some good advise here,and thanks in advance for any I receive.

this is my 3rd turbo buick.so i'm not totally ignorant to them.
86 t type,63,000 miles.
had the usual mild upgrades when i bought it.(air filter,exhaust etc)
since then, I've added a T.H. downpipe,impalla mass air,translator plus.cold air kit(hybrid)walbro pump,(Hotwired)
new cam sensor,new boost solinoid,rjc power plate,dutt.neck,160 thermo,lines to T.b. blocked off,heated O2,magnacore wires, new coilpack,2.5 crossover pipe,3"single exhaust,dynomax race muff,pte 51 turbo(wish i hadn't) 42.5 injectors,lubrant chip,eric shertz trans-(works great) with pro torque conv(hate it,makes noise at only 700 miles,stalls at 2400 when its a 2800) b&M cooler,neoprene rear seal,pcv check valve,vac brakes.more i'm probbably forgetiing,bmr rear control arms,tube uppers.polly busings,pinion snubber,atr loop.
scanmaster,mech boost gauge,engine holddown.

anyway,since the install of this turbo,inj,conv combo.(all have 700 miles on them)..I have a stumble when i hit the gas..off idle..in park (tip in) and the same when driving it.The car will hardly make boost against the brake,won't even show on the gauge.very hard to even spin the tires!! As soon as it leaves it runs ok,when it shifts into 2nd and your appiling any gas it spin like hell. but doesn't run like i think it should..(have had stock turbos run as well or better)Does make 20lbs easy. and now the convertor makes a buzzing or whinning(great)I am going to replace the convertor in a few weeks cause that may be alot of the problem?

I have the puck tight against the housing.looked for exhaust leaks at the crossover and under the turbo,can't see or hear any.but probably should put copper gasket at the turbo.I know I have to look at the iac counts and I will,..Tps is set at .44,and have tried it a few different settings.also have tried changing the translator,(took timing out,put timming in,took fuel out/in etc) nothing seems to make a difference.changed fuel press. If changing the convertor doesn't help,i guess i'll be changing the turbo also.Have a turbotweak chip ordered,hope it helps some,....I would appreciate all and any help here getting this thing tuned,.I'm in PA near eagleville.if there anyone close.
help! :ow:
steve
tibbyJim@aol.com

kenmosher
09-26-2005, 04:39 PM
Wow! Lots of stuff ... however, I tend to agree with your diagnosis. It sounds like a combination of low stall on the converter and possibly the turbo configuration (check for header leaks, turbo/header flange leaks, etc.) or the turbo itself.

Once the stall is corrected, then you should be able to start narrowing down the symptoms....

trizue
10-02-2005, 08:50 PM
the new turbotweak chip burned to match your injectors and turbo should make a huge difference. I installed a set of 42# injectors in my buick and it ran like total crap until i recieved the chip. I live 30 mins. from eagle in pa. keep me posted on your outcome.

Sick6
10-09-2005, 03:58 PM
Hey trizue and white t 86 I'm in West Chester Eagle is close to me in Downingtown We should hang sometime

Curt

Sorry to hijack