PDA

View Full Version : 2004R rebuild

bamiller
09-27-2005, 09:29 PM
I would like to build a 2004R trans for my 69 camaro convertible and I was wondering if you guys would help me. I am a member of the team Camaro forum and was told you guys were the ones to talk to about the 2004R. It is a mild 327 maybe 300 HP with a 3.73 posi rear axle. With the stock 14in tires highway driving is going to be to many RPMs with the turbo 400 thats in it now. I was thinking a converter maybe 500- 1000 rpm's above stock and just a slight shift kit I just want firm not hard shifts. What I would like to know is what are the problem areas and what year trans should I try to get, is one better than another? I am a GM service tech and have worked at GM dealers for 22 years some of them and currently with Buick but I don't have much experience with this Trans. I am not a Trans tech but I am sure I can handle the rebuild if I take my time. I would like to use a lockup converter also.

I just wanted to add I am a big fan of the turbo buicks, the first time I saw them race was at the supercar showdown at Quaker city dragstrip many years ago. I was amazed they were all 6 cly engines but they made them race in the big block class and they won most of the races! And I used to think there was no substitute for cubic inches!

kenmosher
09-28-2005, 12:06 PM
Lots of general 200-4R info here ...

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/transmission/transpage.html

Specific rebuild tips here ...

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/transmission/200rebld.html

When done it right, these are great transmissions for a car like you describe.

The most desirable years are the 86/87 BRF and BRQ (harder to find these valve bodies, since they were turbo Buick only). See ...

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/pictureguides/tranny/transguide.html

However, for what you are doing a Chevy Monte SS version might work OK (or an Olds Diesel). I think the Chevy is CRF?

bamiller
10-04-2005, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the info, I picked up a used 2004R that came out of a monte SS but I am not sure if it was the original trans or not. Code is AA S/N is 238-2T84AA1591. This should make it a 1984 Trans. I think this is the first year for the trans any weak links I should know about? One thing I read said something about a 7 VS 10 vane pump. I figured I could not go wrong for $75.00.

Keller
10-05-2005, 02:11 AM
Pump is no problem. The pump rebuild kits have the upgrade as part of the package. Just choose the right parts or work with your rebuilder. I think they may have 13 vane pumps, now.

bragggf
10-05-2005, 05:47 AM
The most informative info I have seen on this topic is:

http://www.ptsxtreme.com/images%5C../faq/display_faq.asp?faq_id=4

Getting the valve body right will be the key. I put 200,000 miles on a Mike Kurtz (Century transmissions) rebuild that was last done in 1995. The intermediate shaft on the forward drum finally gave out the other week.

I believe the devil is in the details. My trans was setup with 7 clutches in the direct drum by using the steels for the forward drum, 1 additional clutch and machining down the backing plate. You will now note that Alto provides a 7 clutch direct drum kit for the 2004R with their red eagle clutches called the "powerpack" (http://www.altousa.com/np17.pdf). The soft parts in the trans were still fine after so many miles. Back then Borg Warner clutches were used but the Alto Red's are probably the way to go.

A few hard parts that should be considered:
1. hardened stator support and shaft. (this is a must)
2. Heavy Duty forward drum (mine was "cryotreated"). There is also a billet piece that
you'll never break but this is too expensive for my needs ($400+).
3. GN or aftermarket servo
4. 10 vane pump kit.

This is what I'm going to do on my rebuild:

1. get new HD forward drum
2. get Alto Red Eagle banner kit (includes everything but the steels).
3. order Kolene steels for everything but the direct drum and order an extra forward drum steels for the direct drum
4. order extra 1 extra direct drum clutch to bring it up to 7.
5. order new low/reverse center support with torrington bearing.
6. order Alto heavy duty band
7. order 300M anchor pin for intermediate band.

Including the HD Drum ($190) I will have approx. $500 in parts for the rebuild, not including the converter.

Not sure who is making a high quality affordable converter. I have a 2800 stall converter from Rich Gomez that has last 120,000 miles that Precision Industries will refurbish for $150. Mr. Gomez has dissappeared but this converter orginally cost me $300 back in 1997/1998. It was the only converter I could find where the lockup clutches would last past 40,000 miles. You'll have different considerations as I assume this is not your daily driver. Precision Industries does make an excellent converter for these cars but it is expensive. Ditto for Neal Chance.

feel free to email me if you have other questions. I am NOT a trans expert, just happen to be going thru a similar process at this time.

-Gerry Bragg
Brighton, MI
bragggf@sbcglobal.net