PDA

View Full Version : something is cutting off boost

stizkidz
10-06-2005, 10:29 PM
I just installed an LT1 MAF and Basic Translator to replace my failing aftermarket maf. The car runs strong now but I am having a serious problem with the boost now.

When I use the throttle from 0-50% it runs great and pulls hard and makes up to about 10psi of boost. Then, suddenly, after about 50% throttle or more, the boost cuts off quickly down to about 4psi. The engine still runs strong and it does not feel like it's missing, however the boost just drops off and I can only get the boost back up if I let off the throttle. This all started after I installed the translator and lt1 maf.

Keller
10-06-2005, 11:20 PM
Detonation will kill boost. Have a scan tool, perchance?

PaCemkr86
10-07-2005, 12:06 AM
in his other post. he says he has his WOT switch set to 10% leaner.
Althought i dont know what injectors he is using etc..
Good question, Keller..
Do you have a scan tool ?

stizkidz
10-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Found the problem today...

When I installed the LT1 MAF, the stock elbow did not fit so I just bent the tubing down towards the filter. Apparently this compromised the rigidity of the hose. When I would get on the throttle, the turbo would suck in so much air that it sucked the hose shut. I re-routed the setup so it's in a straight line and does not bend or curve at all and everything is fine. I also have a proper intake ordered from buickgn.com.

Keller
10-07-2005, 05:41 PM
:tup: Hey, ya figured it out!

Sometimes, you just have to sit back and retrace your steps. No amount of cussing, yelling, and bitching will fix the problem. When you're building you're own beast, a lot of the engineering is up to you.

When I went to my first GS Nationals, I fangled up my own cold air intake. It worked great on the drive down to Bowling Green. But on my first few attempts down the track, the car would get out maybe 50' or 100' and just stumble like someone tied it to a tree. I'd get back on it, and the whole scenario would repeat when the car came up on boost. Looking at the scan tool data :lite: I saw that the MAF counts were in the toilet when this happened. Took the car back to the hotel, got the original aircleaner assembly (with a Kirban plate on the bottom - hey, this was the early '90s), and swapped it in. Voila! Full passes, no problem. The hose I had been using was getting sucked closed.

:yesnod: Congrats on figuring it out!