PDA

View Full Version : 86 & 87 GN Interior Trim Color?

gearhead_9_9
10-11-2005, 07:49 AM
I have what I believe is an all original 87 GN, matching numbers, 60K miles & very good shape. I am the second owner. My car has the dark grey door chrome strips and pull strap covers. Someone told me the dark grey door chrome strips and pull strap covers are the wrong color for an 87. I was told 86 was the only year GN to have dark grey. 87 got the silver door chrome strips and pull strap covers.

Can someone help me out? I know GM's quality control was lacking back then so maybe mine came from the factory that way?

Thanks.

GH

kenmosher
10-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Sounds like somebody swapped the pull straps ... it was pretty common for them to pull loose and get damaged, so I hope that's all it is.

Otherwise, it has new door panels and maybe even new doors.

You might want to find an unobtrusive portion of the panel (down in a corner or something) and scratch it lightly to see if the smooth surfaces have been redyed or sprayed.

Keller
10-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Sounds like somebody swapped the pull straps

He is talking about the chrome strip covers and screw covers. I believe those all went dark in '87. Same for the T's. The shifter plate trim should match as well. The silver ones are from earlier, like 84-86. Right? I have an '87 T and I know the trim is a dark metallic, NOT silver.

The vinyl-over-metal pull straps...that is a different story. Weren't the pre-87 cars the dark grey vinyl, and the 87 cars light grey vinyl? I think that is the question at hand. I have a T with a blue interior, not a GN, so I don't know for sure...

gearhead_9_9
10-11-2005, 01:37 PM
Thanks Scott & Ken. I guess I wasn't very clear. I was asking about the color of the aluminum overlay on the chromed plastic door strip. The color of the door overlay is dark grey and so is the color of the shifter consol overlay. Thanks for brining up that point.

The pull straps do appear original as there is some wear but the light grey vinyl color matches the rest of the plastic interior light grey color.

You have confirmed what I thought when I purchased the car 6 months ago, my car is original. The guy I was talking to sounded very knowledgeable and was begining to doubt my knowledge. I figured you guys would know better.

Thanks.

GH

turbofish38
10-12-2005, 03:26 PM
There are two types of gray escutcheons,the chrome moldings on the trim, that were used on the 84-87 TR. One set was used solely on the 84-86 GNs and T-Types,the standard Regal used fake woodgrain, and the other was used on all models of Regals for the 1987 model year. They eliminated the woodgrain for 87. The only difference is the color of the gray inserts and IIRC the early 84-86 ones were darker in color. The pull strap screw covers are the same on all 84-87 turbo cars. The standard 84-86 Regal used the brighter polished looking covers and the non-turbo 87's used a cover that was unique to those models and it was a light shade of gray too. Pull strap colors were 84 sand gray,85-86 black and 1987 medium gray.

gearhead_9_9
10-12-2005, 10:30 PM
IIRC? What is that short for?

GH

kenmosher
10-15-2005, 10:55 AM
If I Remember Correctly ...