PDA

View Full Version : Suspension issue

1qwick6
10-11-2005, 07:41 PM
I finally have the time to address a nagging issue I have had with my GN.

The car sits 1 inch lower at the fenderwell on the right rear than on the other 3 wheels, yet I have installed spring levelers to push up the right rear spring and levelers to compress the left spring to level the back of the car. The front seems nearly level with only a 1/4 inch variance lower on the right front wheel. The pushing and pulling to me seems like something is twisted somewhere. The levelers corrected the problem for the most part.

This was fine in the past, but now I want to correct it. I took out all the levelers, and had the frame checked, which is completely straight, front to back.

At this point, where I see the sagging the most is in the roof line at the right rear near the right passenger rear seating area. (The roof slopes sharper lower at the right rear). You see it when standing behind the trunk of the car.

I pointed out this to the shop tech, and he said the frame was of course straight, that the doors and glass line up perfectly, and that the rear window glass is nice and tight, and if there was an issue with just the roofline, the glass would not fit correctly. He said it did not appear that there was any body damage to the car.

He said I needed new springs all the way around.

I am looking at this that maybe the car flexed in a race or something, as it has T-tops and bent slightly in a weak area.

Or, I am thinking that the distance from the axle to the underside of the body where the spring goes has been messed up or something, and now is too much thus causing the car to sag.

The axles are perfectly level too.

So I want to keep this car, want to get new springs and shocks, but am skeptical that new springs/shocks will correct the problem. Eibach's and Bilstines are alot of $$$

Anybody else have this problem?

If I did go with new springs and shocks and there was still a sag, what would this indicate? Can everything somehow be corrected as long as I keep throwing money at it or must I live with this issue? Are there adjustable springs and shocks which might give a firm ride, yet level the car.

Any advice will be much appreciated. I need it so I don't get up and measure wheels at 2:30 in the A.M. like I did last night.

Thanks,
Randy

Keller
10-11-2005, 09:35 PM
Don't panic yet.

Here is my guess: Provided the car has not been wrecked or abused...

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/bodygauges/interiorpage.html
See articles with "bushings" and "mounts" in their titles. I think there are three.

All the Regals were missing some of these. Some more than others. The idea was to apparently make the cars flex a bit more, and thus ride like a...well...Buick. But that isn't what we want. So the idea is to put ALL the bushings in there. That ought to even out the body, because that is what holds it to the frame. The frame is stiff and straight, the body is actually somewhat flexible. So lets bolt it on a bit more firmly. Especially since it's a T-Top car.

I'd wait until some daylight hour to check what is missing. Easier to see 'em. But find out what ones are missing. I'm going to guess that you have #7 on your right side missing. Maybe #6, but that would be unusual. Only the GNX got the #5's, and I hear they are a B*TCH to install. However, they would probably really tighten up your car and probably help your problems.

Shocks would probably not help here, unless something had failed miserably. My T had one stock rear shock that was devoid of all internal pressure when I pulled it, and the car still sat level. Springs - maybe. But your originals would have had to have been damaged or wrong to begin with.

So sleep tight, and check things in the morning. :yawn:

turbofish38
10-12-2005, 03:00 PM
I will agree with Scott. I've seen everything from smashed and rotted bushings to where the bushing holes in the frame were enlarged from the bushing slipping between the frame and the body and the body was just hanging there with nothing on the frame supporting it. A big problem on cars from the rust/salt belt. IIRC even when our cars were new there was always a problem with sagging.

interceptor2
10-22-2005, 09:10 PM
i aggree with all about the mounts etc. you could get your car scaled under eack wheel might help you with weight disterbustion on a perticuler axle {if you have access } next idea most new hunter alignment machine {dsp 400 } have oppstions of software that whould alow a good mech/frame shop sai, measures fender hight, wheel base, and most of all a drive on level rack to make measurments and inspect those bushings i think their not bad to replace just need some time for r&r bumpers and watch those fuel lines and if the bolts are not frozen in the ancors it really not that bad . hth :yesnod:
atr

Phatman
11-03-2005, 07:41 PM
Watch those fingers while removing and installing bushings. One slip could end a long relationship, stubby....:eek:

:cool:

Mike Gallagher

GNXDad
12-04-2005, 12:51 PM
So I want to keep this car, want to get new springs and shocks, but am skeptical that new springs/shocks will correct the problem. Eibach's and Bilstines are alot of $$$

Anybody else have this problem?

If I did go with new springs and shocks and there was still a sag, what would this indicate? Can everything somehow be corrected as long as I keep throwing money at it or must I live with this issue? Are there adjustable springs and shocks which might give a firm ride, yet level the car.

Any advice will be much appreciated. I need it so I don't get up and measure wheels at 2:30 in the A.M. like I did last night.

Thanks,
Randy

My springs were shot. Changed them out and the car is now straight. Instead of the standard spring, I bought variable rate (Moog) springs (better handling).
Changing/adding missing frame bushing are suppose to make your car ride like new(firm).