PDA

View Full Version : header bolts

lozerkidz3
10-13-2005, 09:28 PM
how many bolts are there on the driver side header? I got the infamous crack

Keller
10-13-2005, 10:39 PM
For the 86/87, there are 6 bolts that go into the block, and two that hold the crossover into the tail end of it. However, a few other things are attached to the tops of the bolts as well. (i.e. dipstick, alternator support, etc.) As you are taking things off, note carefully where you removed them from to avoid problems in reassembly.

Ormand
10-14-2005, 12:44 PM
I have a crack in my driver's side header, too. Second time this has happened. First time, I got a header from Jack Cotton "exchange"- I sent him my old header in return for a core charge. Now, nobody seems to have the stock headers. It makes things easier when you have a "spare", so the car is not disable for the time the headers are off. Note that three of the fasteners are stud/bolt combos, and may not be available from GM, so be careful when you take them out.

lozerkidz3
10-14-2005, 06:23 PM
do you know what size socket do use?

jockomikey
10-16-2005, 03:55 AM
Southeast Turbo Performance has the rebuilt stockers for a small core charge..

regaldude
10-21-2005, 08:36 PM
hooker makes a verry nice set of headers but i would not reccomend them unless u want to re-morgage the house they cost a ton

kenmosher
10-21-2005, 09:49 PM
.. and the Hookers often have fitment problems around the transmission pan. In addition, they can cause excessive lag with mild combinations.