PDA

View Full Version : Wheres 2nd gear?

jhef83
09-17-2004, 11:33 PM
I recently purchased an 85 GN with 118k miles. The transmission always shifts 1ST to 3rd and downshifts 3rd to 1st. The car's got several modes so I imagine a shift kit was installed.It shifts very hard. I adjusted the TV cable which made it shift a little sooner,but no 1-2 shift.Also if you let off the throttle before the 1-3 shift it seems to go into N and doesn't start pulling again until you get way back in the throttle.Is it tme for a rebuild? :confused:

Turbo2nr
09-21-2004, 06:35 AM
I'd say take it to a tranny man, and have him pull off the valve body and look for trouble. Stuck valve, spring in pan, etc. No need to pull tranny yet. Have you tried a simple oil change and new oil? Type f? New filter!

Scott

jhef83
09-21-2004, 07:11 PM
Not yet, the cars been at the muffler shop for a week getting some major exhaust leaks fixed. Somebody put headers on it years ago with weird crossover ,up-pipe combo.It was hard to find somebody to work on it.Everybody said go back to stock. No thanks I want to go faster not slower.I'll try the fluid,filter change. Might even pull valvebody and have a look.I saw a second gear super servo on e-bay,any thoughts on replacing that? Thanks,Jeff

Turbo2nr
09-21-2004, 09:39 PM
If you still have an exaust leak, going back to stock is not that bad. I'd call Art Carr @ California performance transmission. He sold me a pile of parts for my 200 tranny, clutches, many hardned parts like stator support, input shaft, heat treated drum, etc., band, torq conv, shift kit, cooler, 10 vane pump, and the ultimate trans lock up for launching. I asked about the super servos, but he said, naah. Not needed. I'd install a shift improvement kit first, then a cooler, then if you need to remove the trans, go ahead and order some real good parts for inside. Poston also sells a "super servo", but I have no experience with it.

Scott

jhef83
09-21-2004, 10:17 PM
Did you build your own tranny,if so are there any books or videos on the subject?

Turbo2nr
09-22-2004, 11:32 AM
I build and fix manual trannys. Got started with broken subaru trannys, have since learned how to build and repair racing dogboxs, and oem manuals (FWD, AWD, RWD). I watched a guy build my 200 for my GN, looks easy, but I think I'll pass. I would rather an experienced guy do it with some sort of warrenty. Too many little springs, parts that need to be pressed, and the pro parts washer that real trans shops have is nice. Where are you?

Scott

jhef83
09-22-2004, 07:59 PM
Muncie,Indiana area.I do HVAC work so not much scares me anymore. but if it takes alot of special tools I'll pass.I haven't been to the dragstrip for a while.Probably be a good place to ask around. There's usually a few GN's out there.