PDA

View Full Version : Code alarm

charliem
11-08-2005, 03:02 PM
My 87 T has one of the dealer installed Code alarm systems. This past weekend I was out of town and the car wouldn't start. It was dead when I turned the key and I had no interior lights, but the rest of the electrical system seemed to work.

I had to have it towed to a local place and they said the alarm had malfunctioned and they had to bypass it. It now starts and runs fine, but the door locks do not work, I still have no interior lights and the radio losses all its settings every time I shut the engine off.

Anyone have a clue how the components mentioned are wired so that they would be affected by the alarm?

garyk1970
11-09-2005, 12:02 AM
sounds like you have a fuse blown,the dome light,cig.lighter(a suspect)door locks, sometimes horn,trunk release(if equipted),etc. are all the same (20 amp fuse)now that alarm is disconnected,try installing a new fuse.you may of had a voltage spike. if it blows instantly, there is a short for some reason.dont install a bigger fuse than what is rated for that circut.check for;bad cig lighter,horn /relay,bare wire,shorted dome light/ wire from recent headliner repair?,etc.

charliem
11-10-2005, 07:27 PM
You were right, that's what it was and I know now exactly what happened. We were on our way out of town and my girl friend plugged her phone charger into the cig lighter. It didn't work. The fuse must have blown for some reason, but since the engine was already running I didn't realise anything was wrong. Once the engine was shut off the the alarm was not able to disarm and kept the start circuit inactivated.

Once I replaced the fuse everything worked and I reconnected the alarm and it works too. Thanks!