PDA

View Full Version : Wire to IGN terminal in fuse box?

Turbo Trans Am
09-21-2004, 11:24 AM
I am by no means a wiring guru. I'm ready to solder my red wires from my gauges to the IGN terminal in my fusebox as per gauge instructions. My questions are the following:
1. Do I solder all four red wires from my gauges & scanmaster to one IGN terminal or will there be one IGN terminal for each wire?
2. I know how to solder two wire together, but I honestly don't have a clue as to what I'm soldering my red wires to in the fuse box. I see the IGN terminal, but what part in there am I specifically soldering the wires to?
3. Can anyone take a snapshot of this area so I can see what this looks like? If you could send a pic to keith.gannon@scott.af.mil, I would be forever indebted.

Turbo2nr
09-24-2004, 10:07 PM
Use a crimp on spade connector, I think that is what it is called. It will look like a flat piece, like one side of a fuse. push that into the upper left side of fuse block. There will be two recepticles you can use. I think they are linked to the ign. switch. Off with key out, on with key turned. Add a fuse somewhere in wires just to be safe, but I never do. I am a rebel. Do not solder anything to the fuse block! Asking for trouble. Unless you, too, are a rebel.

Scott, from Richmond,VA....Capital of the South. Yeee Haww!

Keller
09-26-2004, 01:53 PM
I would recommend collecting your gauge power wires together. Then soldering them to the end of a blade fuse holder, available at Radio Shack or other sources. Then solder that to a connector that goes into the fusebox at a connection such has been mentioned. Those are available at Radio Shack or other sources as well. The fuse you should use for something like this will be small - probably 5A is sufficient. But look at the spec sheets with the gauges and add up the power ratings and make sure that is sufficient.

Same thing for the gauge lights. Only it will be be on a "piggyback" connector with the gauge lamps fuse in the fusebox. (i.e. fits one blade of the current gauge lamps fuse) Just be sure to fuse your external wiring as well with a sufficient amp rating fuse.

Grounds can all be fed to a chassis ground somewhere and secured.