PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol injection idea...

Doc
11-17-2005, 02:54 PM
I am interested in modding my GN to the point that alky injection would be required. But at the same time, I am leery of doing so. I don't want to be wholly dependant on the alky. My car is something of a daily driver. I don't want to be stuck someplace becasue for whatever reason the alky system isn't functioning (clogged jet, out of alky, pump problem, etc.)

So, I had a little idea. I was thinking of building up my engine using an adjustable boost control that can be accessed in the cab: something like a "dial a boost" or one of those switchable dual-stage boost control valves (Turbosmart or equivalent). That way, I can use a low boost setting (which is not dependant on the alky) for grocery getting or "emergency" type situations, but have the option to instantly switch over to the "high boost + alky spray" mode when it's time to put the hammer down.

Any thoughts on this?

kenmosher
11-17-2005, 04:24 PM
The adjustable boost in the cabin is a good idea that's been around for many years. It works just great for what you are describing (or in my case, street gas vs. race gas).

PaCemkr86
11-17-2005, 04:42 PM
My daily driver GN uses alky, i just fill it up every monday.. No problems to date, i prolly use it once a day.

Vacuum 6
11-17-2005, 05:00 PM
I’ve use alky for many years now too with zero issues. Keep your eyes on things and do not floor it if your on kill mode :chain: If you lower the boost mostly likely you’ll need to lower the timing too.

Keller
11-17-2005, 05:38 PM
Any particular valve recomended? Would rather have it in the car than under the hood. Tired of cranking rods or just being careful with my foot all the time when not running some race fuel.

Any issues with long/longer lines to the cockpit?

Any specific plumbing scheme for the valve if you're retaing the stock solenoid?

PaCemkr86
11-17-2005, 05:44 PM
the turbosmart in car controler is very nice.
I have a good friend of mine that works at the turbosmart plant in Australasia
it works great.. The 2 stage controller would be excellnet for you Scott

PaCemkr86
11-17-2005, 05:49 PM
http://www.turbosmart.com.au/images/products/fg-gbcv-ds_250.jpg
Compact design, will fit in the palm of your hand. This unit provides fast boost response with two adjustable boost levels. Just toggle between high and low on the fly. Ideal for replacing factory boost controllers.

Low and high Boost settings are fully adjustable
Detent System for ease of adjustment
Gated System to bring boost on faster
Includes Rocket Launcher Switch and fitting hardware
Mounting bracket and fittings supplied

kenmosher
11-17-2005, 06:04 PM
Using an air compressor style regulator works pretty well too .. set the wastegate tension (15 psi or so) and then crank the knob for more/less boost.

No issues with the longer lines, as far as I've seen.

Doc
11-17-2005, 06:10 PM
That is the exact controller that I was thinking of using.

As far as I can tell, the controller itself would sit under the hood. The only part that travels into the "passenger area" is the electrical wire for the switch.

I'm thinking I'm going to go for it!

PaCemkr86
11-17-2005, 08:14 PM
i use there products on both my TR's they work great..

http://home.stx.rr.com/lxlaw/PICT0112.JPG

i mounted my boost controller on my tps

NOTACARLO
12-09-2005, 01:09 PM
Just turn it off. the SMC kit has an in-cab controller. When you want to show a Vette owner how much money he wasted, just turn it back on.