PDA

View Full Version : fuel leaking from charcoal canister??

bwieweck
11-18-2005, 08:31 PM
I have a 87 gn and a few weeks ago fuel began leaking from the charcoal canister. A "mechanic" told me I could just plug both the vac. line and fuel line to stop the leak. Sounds wrong to me. Any ideas?

Survivor87
11-18-2005, 10:57 PM
Could be a malfunctioning purge solenoid (on top of the cannister) or possibly the solenoid is not getting activated by the ECM. I had this problem a few months back and got the advice to check the pump installation in the tank. If the short hose connecting the pump output to the supply line in the fuel sending assembly is not tightly clamped, fuel can spray directly to the opening which leads to the vapor line going to your cannister. Since the tank is not vented anywhere else, normal vapor pressure that builds up from either heat or fuel sloshing around in the tank will force that raw fuel up the line into your cannister. Since i was going to be upgrading my pump anyway, I went in there and checked it out. Can't say for sure that there was a leak there, but since replacing the pump and making sure the clamps were good and snug, I have not had any more problems. The manual will tell you to replace the cannister once it starts leaking....they aren't cheap ($80-90, if I remember right). Just don't replace it until you are sure you've found the problem. Solenoids are also available. As far as blocking it off..you could probably get by with it, although if your car is pretty stock it could affect idle or driveability.
Hope this helps. Steve

Vacuum 6
12-01-2005, 08:25 PM
I have a 87 gn and a few weeks ago fuel began leaking from the charcoal canister. A "mechanic" told me I could just plug both the vac. line and fuel line to stop the leak. Sounds wrong to me. Any ideas?

Does your fuel system stay pressurized after turning your key forward? Do not start car just turn key on. In order to check you will have to get a pressure gauge ( for the fuel rail. If you system does not stay pressured the problem is the small 3” long hose inside the tank that connects the pump to the carriage. There is either a leak in the hose, the hose clamp came off or loosened.

The reason the canister is filling up with fuel is this leaking fuel line is spraying fuel into the vapor line. Do not replace your canister until you fix the problem. Make sense? Replace the pump while you got the tank dropped…cheap insurance.

bwieweck
12-01-2005, 08:57 PM
When I turn the key (but do not start) the pressure goes up to about 35 psi( I have a hood mounted pressure gauge) and stays. How long do I need to leave the key on to test your theory? Thanks, Bryan

Vacuum 6
12-02-2005, 08:43 AM
When I turn the key (but do not start) the pressure goes up to about 35 psi( I have a hood mounted pressure gauge) and stays. How long do I need to leave the key on to test your theory? Thanks, Bryan

Mine decreased after a few min...my gauge was on the rail. It may take longer since the location of your gauge. Also it may be a slow leak. Something is wrong in your tank cuz your getting fuel in the canister. The canister is hooked up to the vapor line which runs to the tank.