PDA

View Full Version : 87 Grand National

cendres
09-23-2004, 09:47 AM
The time has come to part with my 1987 Grand National. I have owned the car for eleven years and it has always been stored in a climate-controlled garage. It wears all of its original paint, which I’ve meticulously cared for using 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. The paint has no swirls or scratches and the body exhibits no dents or dings. The car has never been hit. Though I’ve been caught in the rain perhaps two or three times over the eleven years I’ve owned it, you would never know it. The important thing is that the car has been a sunny day toy. It has never been used as a daily driver and certainly has never been out in the snow. Proof? One look at the underside should tell you everything you need to know. Items such as the original rearend, driveshaft and fuel tank have been left unprotected and yet show no sign of corrosion. Actually, they are still shiny as new!

This car has been featured in Car Craft and GM High-Tech Performance magazines, and has made several additional appearances in Popular Hot Rodding as well. It is a three-time Car Craft Summer Cruise award winner, in addition to collecting countless local and regional show honors. All modifications have been performed tastefully, carefully and in such a way so as not to harm the integrity of the car. One of the few concessions to this rule was the addition of backseat bracing (inside trunk). My logic is that a few holes drilled in a non-consequential area are well worth the effort to prevent pillar cracks (the car has none). A thick Covercraft cover is included with the car. The sole known issue with the car is that the air conditioning system needs to be recharged.

The car is a nicely-optioned hardtop, including: power windows, power locks, power driver’s seat, Concert Sound with power antenna, rear defrost, remote right side mirror, power trunk release, cruise, tilt, delay wipers and limited slip differential. While the car has been modified with the normal bolt-ons, it can be easily returned to stock with no sign of prior alteration. Modifications are as follows:

Powertrain: Polished stock turbo, stock injectors, stock intercooler with ported neck, Jay Jackson 62mm throttle body, HKS wastegate (crossover mounted) w/ in car adjustability, welded and ported stock headers, atr 3” stainless downpipe, atr 2-1/2” stainless exhaust system, custom stainless test pipe w/ dump, stock torque converter, John Freuler prepared 200-4R transmission, B&M stacked plate trans cooler, hot-wired XP+ fuel pump, KB billet adjustable fuel pressure regulator, MM aluminum MAF pipe, 9” conical K&N filter and breathers.

Chassis: Bell-Tech spindles and rear springs, Air-Lift bags, Metco upper and lower control arms, Metco rear sway bar, stock shocks, Weld Alumastars w/ BFG Drag Radials, PFCM brake pads, B&M line lock, driveshaft loop, backseat braces.

Aesthetics: 20% window tint, Extang headlight covers, polished aluminum engine components (turbo, alternator, valve covers, belt tensioner, plenum, etc.), BGC embroidered floor mats, Autometer Sport-Comp tach and Z-series mechanical gauges (boost, fuel pressure, oil pressure, water temperature). A custom BFH switch panel resides in the center console. The front and rear bumpers have been shaved (rub strips removed) and filled.

Performance: The last time the car was at the track was in the fall of 2000. It ran 11.68/116 with a TA-60 turbo, stock injectors and intercooler, but has not been back to the track since.

Full Specs:
Engine: stock with Cloyes double roller timing chain and LT1 valve springs
Turbocharger: stock with polished compressor housing
Wastegate: HKS external, ****pit adjustable
Intercooler: stock with ported inlet
Throttle body: Jay Jackson-bored 62mm stock
Induction: K&N 9.0 conical filter with 3” aluminum MAF pipe
Engine management: stock ECM
Fuel injectors: stock
Fuel pump: Armstrong XP+
Fuel pressure regulator: KB billet adjustable
Ignition: stock DIS, Jacobs wires
Headers: stock, welded and ported
Downpipe: atr 3.0” T-304 w/ custom 3.0” T-304 cutout
Exhaust: atr dual 2.5”, polished T-304, Dynomax Ultra-Flo polished SS mufflers
Transmission: original Turbo-Hydramatic 200-4R built by John Freuler
Torque converter: stock
Rear end: GM 10-bolt, 8.5” ring gear, 3.42 ratio, Superior Evolution axles,
smoothed and polished aluminum TA rear cover
Front suspension: Bell-Tech spindles, stock shocks
Rear suspension: Metco billet aluminum lower and adjustable upper control arms, Metco ICM brackets, trimmed Bell-Tech springs, Air-Lift bags, stock shocks, Metco 1.375” sway bar
Brakes: front: stock, rear: stock drums w/ S-10 cylinders and soft compound shoes rear, B&M line-lock
Wheels: Weld Racing Alumastar 2.0; 15 X 4 front, 15 X 8 rear
Tires: Dunlop 165-R15 front, BFG Drag Radial 275/50/15 rear
Gauges: Autometer Sport-Comp: 8,000 rpm Monster Tach w/ QuickLite, 2.125” boost, fuel pressure, oil pressure and water temperature mechanical gauges

Asking price: $20,500. The car is located in St. Paul, MN. Interested parties are strongly encouraged to inspect the car in person, as this is the best way to see how nice this car truly is. There will be absolutely no disappointments with this car. I will post a link to photos later today.

Thanks,
Chris Endres
612/817.5972

cendres
09-23-2004, 10:01 AM
Here is the link to the photo directory:

http://hotridesphoto.com/GNFS/