PDA

View Full Version : distributor

onefastcar
11-22-2005, 11:18 PM
I'm hearing that distributor in gn cars is the way to go for high horse power engines! yes / no and possibly why :brows:

Keller
11-23-2005, 09:44 AM
As in, for the ignition? :what:

These ignitions were capable of running the Buick V6's in the Indy car program back in the day, not to mention plenty of 10, 9, 8, and even 7 second rides. Why go with a distributor?

Some have used a MSD DIS-4 box in very high horsepower applications added on. And I am aware of a few that have gone to distributors. But...why? What is your application? Something truly gonzo you are trying to do?

onefastcar
11-23-2005, 11:50 AM
Just heard that on some real high horsepower cars that have gone to the set-up you afore mentioned and that i would maybe keep this in mind for later if the time comes for me to step up to a like set-up and wanted to hear your guys comments on this and your thoughts on why they have gone this route versus the stock system there must be limitations or reasons why.

Doc
11-23-2005, 12:23 PM
I have no idea why anyone would want to run a distributor on a GN. Is there even a provision for mounting one?

Seriously, it makes very little sense. I know that in other applications (Chevy V8 for example) some people convert AWAY from the distributor in high HP applications.

Usually, the weak link in an ignition (if any) is the spark energy delivered to the plugs. It is well known that high cylinder pressures (such as that developed by a Turbo) requires more energy to fire. Ditto for exotic fuels such as alky injection. So, I can see why an upgraded ignition might be attractive. But, a distributor has nothing to do with spark energy. That comes from the coil(s) and the ignition "box" or "module" that sends current to the coil(s). Surely if the stock ignition isn't good enough, then like Keller said, the MSD seems like the ideal choice. It is relatively inexpensive and you can even get a seperate adapter so that it plugs straight in to the factory wiring. Plus, it's power is much higher than stock.

Perhaps what you heard about was someone using a special kind of aftermarket fuel injection system or ECU that needed a distributor to run becasue it couldn't support individual coil packs?

Keller
11-23-2005, 02:39 PM
I have no idea why anyone would want to run a distributor on a GN. Is there even a provision for mounting one?

Yes...right where the cam sensor resides. The block is actually the same as a carbed car block, save for the turbo drainback hole. You'd have to pull it out, and put the distributor in.

Here is the MSD DIS-4: http://www.msdignition.com/sci_4.htm

Turbobuick
11-23-2005, 04:09 PM
The stock ignition is very capable for anything the average TR is gonna run or try to run. Now on a 9.50 car or faster the factory setup starts to become marginal. I run one on my car but it eats coil packs on a regular basis at this point and I'm switching to a distributor for several reasons. The Accel Gen 7 has a bunch on ignition controls and neat features that simply won't work with the factory C3I. The reason and main issue is the wastespark. The C3I controls ignition timing and has only 3 ignition pulses which will cause it to lose time when used with the two step features in the Gen 7. Another reason is the MSD box doesn't work well with aftermarket fuel mgt systems and is a POS IMO. Last, have you ever seen a spark plug fired from MSD 7 and coil compared to the factory coil pack? I realize the wastespark isn't supposed to ignite anything but if you saw the inside of my intake you would wonder how true that is, especially when others who have switched have told me the inside of thier intake is now clean on tear downs.

BigT'sTurbo
11-23-2005, 09:44 PM
So what do you do with the stock ecm, do you reprogram it not to control timing and a/f what happens there. do you have problems getting them to work together? the reason I ask I know some one running low 9's with hp coil pak and his dont eat them like yours.

Keller
11-23-2005, 11:45 PM
The Accel Gen 7 he mentioned replaces the stock ECM completely.

http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/dfi.pdf

onefastcar
11-24-2005, 06:08 AM
Thats what i keep hearing is that the waste spark robs horsepower from you engine i've heard approx 30 hp could be b_**** or not but if you have burnable exhaust gas and it ignites nobody can tell me this is good for any engine, if nothing else this is good conversation and i appreciate your guys responses, also this don't look stock, also i am gettin an error on your link keller.

Keller
11-24-2005, 08:55 AM
Try now. Updated with a link to a PDF version of their catalog.

kenmosher
11-24-2005, 09:51 AM
When it gets to that level, I'd be very tempted to just put a 60x encoder wheel on the crank (as opposed to the stock 3x) and run coil near plug. Individual coil per cylinder, individually adjustable timing per cylinder, maximum spark energy per cylinder... like the LSx series motors.