PDA

View Full Version : Trans slippage

lt70turbo
11-24-2005, 11:24 PM
New rebuild on my 200 but a problem has aroused it has started to slip in 3rd gear at track speed just looking for some things to look for can some of you a-1 trans builders give me some help thanks.

NOTACARLO
11-30-2005, 10:17 AM
Who rebuilt it? We have specific valve bodies to these cars (BRF). I would suspect line pressure (pump). I would also check to see if the TQ Converter was replaced with a different unit. I say this only because I took the cheap and quick route a couple of years ago and they put a "new" converter from an 87' NA car back in. They also botched the pump rebuild.

Just my $.02. :tup:

lt70turbo
12-02-2005, 11:33 PM
:lite: OK here's what i have PTS 13vane pump 570 boost-valve billet inputshaft,billet forward drum,billet servo,roller park gear and sunshell,PTS band and anchor pin,artcar shift kit,stageright transbrake,JW 3500/3800 conv.all clearances were set to fac.spec. to the best of my knowledge it's kinda strange i have built 3 of these trannies with no problem but i build one for myself and have all kind of trouble anyway i need some ideas

PaCemkr86
12-03-2005, 03:21 AM
:lite: OK here's what i have PTS 13vane pump 570 boost-valve billet inputshaft,billet forward drum,billet servo,roller park gear and sunshell,PTS band and anchor pin,artcar shift kit,stageright transbrake,JW 3500/3800 conv.all clearances were set to fac.spec. to the best of my knowledge it's kinda strange i have built 3 of these trannies with no problem but i build one for myself and have all kind of trouble anyway i need some ideas
i feel your pain, same thing happend to me, in the process of installing a th400

Hacksaw
12-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Do you have a deep pan & extended pick up? The stock setup can cause slipping when accelerating.

OK, what is the pump rotor clearance? Too tight, it binds, too loose, and the line pressure falls off when hot. Did the pump come already built?

Also, what is the Direct Clutch clearance?

A leaking large ring on the servo will leak Direct Clutch circuit fluid.

And, did you use metal or teflon rings on the Center Support? Are their cross leaks in the center support?

lt70turbo
12-07-2005, 12:59 PM
No deep pan but it's overfilled by about 1/2 quart,the pump is a PTS Exstrem it was allready assembled,the direct clucth drum is some where around 47/54 thousnads the servo is PTS BILLET unit, teflon sealing rings thanks for the input.

Hacksaw
12-08-2005, 05:38 PM
Silly me. I forgot to mention to check the line pressure at idle, with idle TV & full TV (pull the TV cable to it's stop) pressure readings in each gear (need someone to step on the brakes inside), and while racing. You may need some else to read the pressure while you drive! If the pressure is all over the map while racing, it's cavitation (oil starvtion) at the pickup. The idle readings in each gear will tell if there is a pump or boost system problem.

lt70turbo
12-13-2005, 12:52 AM
Thanks Hacksaw but now i am to the point where i am going to pull it out and tear it down and see what i can see or just build a turbo 400 but i hate to loose all $$$ i have invested in the 200 but thats the way the tire spins some times.